The FBI has said that U.S. investigators have found a person of interest of interest in connection with the explosion that rocked the centre of Nashville on Christmas Day and are searching a house in the city’s suburbs, the FBI has said.
After obtaining information related to the investigation, officers raided a home in Antioch, FBI Special Agent Jason Pack said.
The police consider an individual connected with the property to be a person of interest in connection with the blast, another law enforcement official said.
Previously, police said they were looking at a variety of individuals who could be linked to the explosion, but they also did not find any other explosive devices – indicating that the area was not actively targeted.
Douglas Korneski, special agent in charge of the Memphis field office of the FBI, said 250 investigators, analysts and FBI staff are making progress in identifying the person or persons responsible for planting a bomb in a mobile home that blew up along a largely deserted street.
In the explosion, three people were wounded.
“It’s just going to take some time,” he said, adding that his team turned every stone over to figure out who was accountable and why.
The U.S. separately. Tissue samples recovered at the scene were determined to be human remains, according to the Federal Emergency Management Agency.
The assault threatens to cripple state-wide communications networks.
As an AT&T switchboard was damaged by the blast, police emergency systems in Tennessee, Kentucky and Alabama, as well as Nashville’s Covid 19 Neighborhood Hotline and a number of hospital systems, remain out of operation.
There was a telephone switchboard in the building that housed network equipment – but the company refused to say precisely how many employees were affected.
As they shuffled through shattered glass and destroyed buildings to learn more about the explosion, investigators cordoned off the center of downtown Nashville’s tourist scene – an area packed with bars, restaurants and shops.
John Cooper, the city’s mayor, signed an executive order imposing a downtown area curfew until Sunday.
AT&T reported that recovery efforts are facing “several challenges, including a fire that reignited overnight and led to the building being evacuated.”
This has prompted their teams to work to drill access holes into the building with protection and structural engineers to reconnect electricity.
Due to the “severity and magnitude” of the blast’s effects, Tennessee State Governor Bill Lee asked the White House for federal assistance.
At least 41 buildings were destroyed, and communications networks in the state were down, including home and cell phone service and emergency call centers, he said.
Also affected were Kentucky and northern Alabama, he said.
On Twitter, Ray Neville, president of technology at T-Mobile, said that Louisville, Nashville, Knoxville, Birmingham and Atlanta were affected by service interruptions.
Service interruptions continue to occur following yesterday’s explosion in these regions. Restoration operations continue around the clock and we will keep you updated on progress,” he said in a tweet.
The outages had also briefly grounded flights at Nashville International Airport, but as of Saturday, operations were back to normal.
Since then, the Federal Aviation Association has issued a temporary flight restriction around the airport and allows pilots until Dec. 30 to follow strict procedures.
Officers were responding to a gunfire call on Friday morning when they arrived at the mobile home, according to Metro Nashville Police Chief John Drake, who gave a reported warning that a bomb would explode in 15 minutes.
Police evacuated buildings nearby and called in the bomb squad. Shortly afterwards, the car detonated.
Since shortly after the explosion at about 6:30 a.m., law enforcement authorities have said that they suspect the blast was intentional. They have not spoken publicly about a potential target or motive.