MCDONALD’S has revealed why its menu is limited but promises that McMuffins will come back soon.
The fast food chain reopened 39 branches for drive thru this week, after it made the first 15 restaurants available for delivery last week.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
It means McDonald’s fans now have two ways to still their Maccies fix – if they live near a participating restaurant.
You can find the full list of locations in the box below.
The chain isn’t running a full menu though, and now McDonald’s has shared more details on why.
In an email to customers, the fast food chain said it has removed menu items that might be challenging for its workers to make while maintaining social distancing in the kitchen.
Examples of items include wraps and shakes, said Paul Pomroy, chief executive of McDonald’s UK.
He added: “These are two menu items that often create additional traffic in certain parts of the kitchen and we need more time to ensure that we can bring them back to you, without impacting the safety measures we have put in place.
“I know it is disappointing if these are your usual favourites, but in light of the challenges we are all facing, I really appreciate your understanding of the restrictions and changes that we have implemented to help keep you and our people safe.”
The limited options still include fan favourites, such as Happy Meals, Big Macs and McNuggets though.
But there are no breakfast items, which is down to the new opening times.
Instead of opening doors for early morning orders, Maccies operates between 11am and 10pm, hence the lack of McMuffins and bacon rolls on the menu.
But in good news for fans who are missing their favourite Maccies items, McDonald’s said it’ll start extending its menu and opening hours in the coming weeks.
A spokesperson for McDonald’s told The Sun: “Over the coming weeks and months, we will slowly add more services and menu items – including reintroducing our much-missed McMuffins, but only when we know we can do so whilst still enabling our employees to work safely.”
McDonald’s said it’ll confirm the reopening timetable for all its drive-thrus next week as well as which branches will be available for delivery.
The decision to only open branches in the south of England has led to some frustrated fans feeling like the chain “hates the north”.
But Mr Pomroy promised he hasn’t “forgotten about any part of the UK”.
Instead, he explained the trial restaurants are all located close to its head office and to a distribution centre in the South East to make it easier for employees and suppliers.
He added: “We are taking our time to test the new ways of working in our restaurants, ensuring that we can continue to help our teams to work safely, and to get back to the communities we have proudly served for so many years.”
McDonald’s was flooded with orders last week when it reopened its first 15 restaurants since the coronavirus lockdown.
McDonald’s had previously warned that deliveries will take longer than usual.
McDonald’s temporarily shut all 1,350 restaurants on March 23.