Press "Enter" to skip to content

Watch the shocking moment a family tucks into flourescent blue sushi

Stomach churning footage shows the moment a family took sushi home for dinner – only to find it was glowing fluorescent blue.

The video, which was taken in Nonthaburi, central Thailand, shows Arun Yolpaiboon, 58 and her son Natthanai Kanchanawasa, 21, unpacking three boxes of raw fish and rice on Tuesday, before getting the shock of their lives.

The video then shows Kanchanawasa holding up one of the shrimps, which he had boiled, revealing how blue it had become. He later ate one.

He has since said that since trying the toxic snack, he has not suffered any illness but the glowing meal still frightened the family.

He said: ‘It was strange to see a glowing shrimp like this since we like to eat the sushi regularly. We could have eaten it without realising had it not changed colour.

‘Luckily, I have not had any strange symptoms after eating it but perhaps it was because it was boiled.’

The pair then talk to health professionals to get to the bottom of the mystery. 

The associate professor of biology at Chulalongkorn University PhD Jessada Denduangboripant explained that the shrimp could have been glowing as it had not been stored at a low enough temperature, which allowed it to be contaminated with fluorescent bacteria.

 He said: ‘Normally, the seafood can be contaminated with fluorescent bacteria but they are eradicated by heat in the cooking process.

‘But in sushi the seafoods are mostly uncooked so they should be kept in very low temperatures to limit the bacteria numbers.

‘I believe the shrimps on the sushi might not have been kept under a sufficiently low temperature which caused the amount of bacteria to increase.’

The professor added that the consumer should not eat any pieces of glowing sushi due to the potential infection.

He said: ‘There are various possible bacteria on the shrimp and it needs to be examined before it is safe to consume otherwise the consumer might suffer from food poisoning.’

Arun, a businesswoman, said she would be more careful choosing the sushi from now on.

She added: ‘This is a surprise lesson for me and it will affect my decision next time when I’m choosing what food to buy.

‘I think I have to be more careful or I could suffer from digestion infections or food poisoning.”

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *