Michelle Troconis, the former girlfriend of Fotis Dulos, says she should never have trusted the accused killer knowing what she knows now.
Dulos took his life in January while facing charges for the murder of his estranged wife Jennifer. The Connecticut couple were in the midst of a bitter divorce and child custody proceedings when the mother of five disappeared almost a year ago.
The 50-year-old mom’s body has never been found.
Meanwhile, focus on the whereabouts of her remains has shifted to a $3 million home in Avon, where the couple had briefly lived in 2010.
Questions have been raised over how thorough the Connecticut State Police were in searching the residence, which has a septic tank and wooded area in the back, the Hartford Courant reports.
Troconis says she knows nothing about what happened to Jennifer Dulos, in her first public comments about the case Thursday.
The dual American and Venezuelan citizen released an audio statement in Spanish with her remarks just days before the one-year anniversary this upcoming Sunday of the disappearance and presumed killing of Jennifer Dulos.
Troconis’ lawyer, Jon Schoenhorn, provided a translated transcript of the statement, in which she says people have said cruel things about her and expresses her frustration at not being able to tell her side of the story.
‘Whether or not Fotis Dulos was capable of doing the things the police and prosecutors accused him of doing, I do not know,’ she said. ‘But based on what I have learned in the last year, I think it was a mistake to have trusted him.’
Police allege Fotis Dulos killed his estranged wife at her home and drove off with her body. He would be found dead months later from carbon monoxide poisoning while seated in his truck parked in the garage of his home at 4 Jefferson Crossing.
Troconis, who remains free on bail, and Kent Mawhinney, a friend of Fotis Dulos and his former lawyer, have pleaded not guilty to conspiracy to commit murder on allegations they helped cover up the killing.
The children have been living with Jennifer Dulos’s mother in New York.
As the anniversary of the dead woman’s disappearance approaches, the Connecticut State Police have renewed their interest in the Avon home, and after questions were raised by the Courant about how thorough the property was initially searched.
The property is just 1.5 miles from the Jefferson Crossing home where Fotis Dulos took his life earlier this year.
The couple had lived in the home at 44 Sky View Drive for a short time in the summer of 2010, two former employees of the Fore Group, Farber Dulos’ home construction company told the Courant.
Records show the Fore Group had gone back to the home and spent several months cleaning it after pipes had burst inside. The home had been unoccupied since December of 2017.
The state police had been aware of the Dulos’ connection to the home, after interviews with current and former employees at the construction company. It was not clear how vigorously the possible lead was pursued by investigators, sources tell the Courant.
Investigators received a copy of a demolition permit and contacted David Ford, an attorney who currently owns the property and gave them permission last fall to conduct a search, state police source say.
Cops eventually came to the house, but without a search warrant and no cadaver dogs to search in the woods behind the home or a septic tank on the property, as they did at other homes owned by the Duloses, sources say.
It was also not clear if investigators knew the the couple lived at the house for several months, while they were waiting for their first home on Jefferson Crossing to be finished.