Giants of social media – Facebook, YouTube and Twitter – deleted the message of the President to the angry mob that invaded the Capitol building
In an unprecedented move to counter disinformation and the president’s incitement to abuse, Twitter has suspended Donald Trump’s account.
On Wednesday night, the social media giant said it would force Trump to remove multiple tweets trying to delegitimize the presidential election result after his supporters stormed the U.S. That Capitol.
Trump will be asked to remove the three tweets in question and his account will be suspended for an additional 12 hours after that.
His account will stay suspended indefinitely if he does not uninstall them, the company said in a public statement.
The account will be permanently deleted by Twitter if Trump breaches the policy again.
The action is Twitter’s most offensive yet and comes after Facebook and YouTube joined the social networking giant in a video post to delete Trump’s account in which protesters were praised by the president.
Twitter blocked some of Trump’s posts earlier on Wednesday from being posted, citing a “risk of violence.”
Trump accused Vice President Mike Pence in a tweet of lacking “the courage to do what should be done.” as his supporters gathered Wednesday to protest the certification of the Nov. 3 election results.
“go home,”go home”stolen”stolen”We love you.”We love you.
Later Wednesday, Trump again wrongly said his “election victory” was “summarily” and “maliciously” taken away.
“In accordance with our Civil Integrity Policy and recent guidance, we have flagged and significantly limited engagement with this tweet due to the risk of violence,” a Twitter spokesperson said. “This means this tweet cannot be replied to, retweeted or liked.”
There is an extraordinary decision by Facebook to take down a post by the president. Guy Rosen, Facebook’s vice president of integrity, said in a tweet, “This is an emergency situation and we are taking appropriate emergency action, including removing President Trump’s video,” “We removed it because, overall, we believe it contributes to, rather than reduces, the risk of continued violence.”
Meanwhile, on the website, hundreds of Facebook organisations and events that were used to coordinate the violent action remain active.
Security on Twitter
As for the current situation in Washington, D.C., we are working proactively to protect the health of the public discourse that takes place on the service and will take action against any material that breaches the rules of Twitter.
6, Jan. 2021
As tensions increased in Washington, Twitter faced heavy pressure Wednesday to delete the president’s account. “With respect to the ongoing situation in Washington DC, we are proactively working to protect the health of the public conversation taking place on the service and will take action against any content that violates Twitter’s rules,” the company wrote.
“Threats and calls to violence violate Twitter’s rules, and we enforce our policies accordingly,” Twitter said.
As the alleged coup continues to unfold, the company’s security account, which posts alerts and implementation of company policies, also said it is working to curb violent language on the site.
In the past, Twitter flagged some of Trump’s tweets that propagated disinformation or incited abuse.
The president’s May 2020 tweets calling for violence against demonstrators protesting against police violence were most prominently withheld and prevented from being shared.
But the business was also blamed for not deleting tweets fast enough, and calls were made to fully remove the account. In the weeks leading up to the presidential election, while Twitter doubled its policies against disinformation and calls for violence, action was slower in the days and months that followed. It took more than an hour on Nov. 11 for the platform to flag a deeply deceptive video posted by Trump.
Before the website took action, it was retweeted over 70,000 times.
For its position in encouraging errors, Facebook has also been criticised.