Chelsea star Willian has hinted he could sign a short-term deal until the end of the season despite recently confirming that his future lies elsewhere.
The Brazilian is out of contract at the club on June 30 but with the Premier League likely to restart next month, a short-term deal is set to be agreed between both parties so Willian can play the rest of the season, which is likely to stretch into July and August.
The 31-year-old has been linked with other Premier League clubs such as Arsenal and Tottenham, with Chelsea offering just a two-year extension as opposed to the three years requested by Willian.
‘It’s a difficult situation because Chelsea offered me two years and they are not going to change what they offered. I said I wanted three more years,’ the winger told Brazilian outlet Esporte Interativo, as reported by Goal.
‘The situation is difficult because of this. I really don’t know if it will be possible [to stay]. My goal is to continue working and focus on the remainder of the season, so that Chelsea can continue winning games.
‘I have a clear head and I’m focused for the rest of the season that we have left. I think it’s difficult [to stay]. Let’s see what happens.’
Chelsea tend not to offer long-term contracts to players over 30, despite Willian featuring regularly under manager Frank Lampard this season.
He has made 37 appearances in all competitions, scoring seven goals and recording six assists.
During his near-seven-year stay in west London, Willian has won two Premier League titles, one FA Cup, one League Cup and the Europa League.
Willian returned to training this week as Premier League clubs readied themselves for a return to action in June.
However, the 31-year-old has spoken previously of players being ‘uncomfortable’ about returning in the current global climate, as Project Restart accelerates.