What happened between Man Utd and City in the previous League Cup semifinals?


On Wednesday, Manchester United and Manchester City clash in the Carabao Cup derby for a spot in the final at Wembley Stadium – and with just one leg in this season’s semifinals due to the Corona virus, Old Trafford must be the winner.

City led 2-1 in their three previous encounters at this point of the contest, with the winner lifting the trophy each time. PA news agency looks back at those semifinal meetings. 1969-70: Man City win 4-3 Mike Summerbee scores Manchester City’s winning goal at Old Trafford (PA) A late Francis Lee penalty gave City in the first leg a 2-1 victory at Maine Road. When Bobby Charlton cancelled out Colin Bell’s opening goal, it looked like United would draw level, but Lee held his nerve to convert the 88th minute penalty. In the second leg at Old Trafford, Ian Bowyer gave City the lead, but Paul Edwards and Denis Law’s goals turned the game around to even the scores. Mike Summerbee scored eight minutes from time to give City a 4-3 overall victory, and Joe Mercer’s side defeated West Brom in the final. 2009-10: Man Utd win 4-3 on aggregateWayne Rooney celebrates after his late header placed Manchester United ahead on aggregate. Once again, when Carlos Tevez gave his ex-club the lead with a double strike after Ryan Giggs had put United ahead, City led 2-1 at home after the first leg. In a late Old Trafford drama, United advanced in 29 years to deny City its first big Wembley appearance – after winning the League Cup in 1970. In the second leg, Paul Scholes and Michael Carrick put United ahead, but Tevez scored again to equalize before Wayne Rooney’s stoppage-time header gave a 3-1 win to Sir Alex Ferguson’s side. In the final, United beat Aston Villa.2019-20: Man City win 3-2Riyad Mahrez (center) celebrates scoring Manchester City’s second goal in the first leg last season at Old Trafford (Martin Rickett/PA)Pep Guardiola’s side demolished United last season at Old Trafford in the first leg, with goals from Bernardo Silva, Riyad Mahrez and Andreas Pereira gave City a 3-0 halftime lead. Marcus Rashford managed to score the equalizer in the second half. United boosted expectations of a comeback in the second leg at the Etihad Stadium when Nemanja Matic put them ahead, but the midfielder’s red card ended those hopes in the 76th minute.


Leave A Reply