MANCHESTER CITY are prepared to do whatever it takes to sign Lionel Messi, who now reportedly wants OUT of Barcelona.
Meanwhile Liverpool are said to have agreed terms with Bayern Munich’s Thiago Alcantara.
Follow ALL of the latest transfer gossip, news and updates below…
AMP WILL TURN UP
Ethan Ampadu is ready to snub several loan offers and fight for his place at Chelsea next season.
The Welsh teenager has spent this term on loan at RB Leipzig, where a combination of injuries and being out of favour have restricted his game time.
But according to Goal, he will snub any loan offers in order to fight for his place at Stamford Bridge next season.
The former Exter midfielder has impressed for Ryan Giggs’ Dragons during the last two seasons, but is simply in need of a run of games in club football.
Ampadu played in only seven games for RB as they marched to the Champions League semi-finals, including the first leg of their demolition of Tottenham in the last-16.
SEE ‘OU LATER
Manchester United youngster Aliou Traore has completed a season-long loan deal to join French side SM Caen.
The Red Devils teenager has headed back to his homeland in search of regular first-team football at the Ligue 2 outfit.
The 19-year-old Frenchman can play either in central midfield or in wide areas.
He has impressed since his 2017 move from Paris Saint-Germain and scored four goals in 14 appearances for United U23s as they earned promotion last season.
Traore will wear the number 15 shirt at Caen, who finished 13th in France’s second division last term after being relegated from Ligue 1 in 2019.
The highly-rated youngster is yet to feature for United’s first-team and recently admitted he was ready to make the jump.
MORE ON MIKEL
John Obi Mikel was pictured arriving at Stoke for his medical on Monday.
The former Chelsea midfielder, 33, is set to join the Potters on a free transfer after leaving Trabzonspor earlier this year.
And a picture of the former Nigeria international was doing the rounds on social media as he headed to the club’s Clayton Wood training ground.
He is expected to sign a one-year deal with the Championship club.
Stoke fans were getting rather excited by the imminent arrival.
One said: “John Obi Mikel is a very shrewd bit of business imho.”
Another wrote: “Iconic moment when John Obi Mikel signs.”
SIGHTS ON GUNNERS
Arsenal “remain Gabriel Magalhaes’ priority” this summer, according to reports in France.
There have been claims that the Brazil defender, 22, has agreed personal terms with the Gunners.
But as of yet there has been no announcement from club or player on his future.
Lille are said to value Gabriel at around £27m, a relative bargain in today’s market for a promising young player.
According to La Voix du Nord, Everton and Manchester United are now out of the race for Gabriel.
OUT OF BLACK, INTO RED
It is becoming increasingly clear why Borussia Dortmund want to sell Jadon Sancho.
The club have revealed they have made a lost £45million this season, a £61m swing from the £16m profit they made last year.
Manchester United, who think the player is overvalued at around £108m, have been told to cough up Dortmund’s asking price for Sancho.
But now it is clear the effect coronavirus is having on football clubs, who cannot invite fans into stadia.
BACKS TO JAX
Arsenal legend Marc Overmars is reportedly working on a deal to bring Luis Suarez back to Ajax.
The Barcelona star, 33, is on the club’s transfer list, according to reports in Spain.
And he could be set for a return to Dutch side Ajax – where Suarez spent four years before joining Liverpool in 2011.
Uruguayan journalist Enzo Olivera claims Ajax’s sporting director Overmars is readying a bid for Suarez.
Olivera told sports show Polideportivo via Football Inside: “Overmars wants Suarez and has opened the doors of the Johan Cruyff Arena for him.”
The Uruguayan striker’s contract runs until next summer and Barca have an option to extend the deal for an extra season.
Holland boss Ronald Koeman has been snapped at Barcelona Airport as he edges closer to taking charge at the Nou Camp.
The 57-year-old has emerged as the frontrunner to replace Quique Setien with the Spaniard’s sacking set to be confirmed imminently.
His fate was sealed after the club crashed out of the Champions League in the quarter-final stage after being thrashed 8-2 by Bayern Munich.
Barca legend Xavi had been the bookies favourite to succeed Setien, with Maurico Pochettino and Thiery Henry also in the running.
But Koeman appears to be at the head of the queue, with Marca obtaining footage of him at the City’s airport on Sunday.
They claim that Koeman will now have a meeting with club directors on Monday as both parties look to thrash out a deal.
BOND, JAMES RODRIGUEZ
James Rodriguez has opened the door to a Premier League move having grown “frustrated” under exile from Real Madrid.
Joining Gareth Bale in being pushed towards the Bernabeu exit door, Rodriguez appeared only once in LaLiga in 2020 having previously been sent on loan to Bayern Munich.
Arsenal, along with Paris Saint-Germain and Atletico Madrid, are linked with the Colombian and he is ready to contemplate a switch to England.
James told Daniel Habif’s podcast: “Now there are many things, everything is over now, the virus stopped everything.
“There are many clubs that do not have so much, in a few days I know where I am going.
“I still don’t know; Italy, Spain, England. It’s a question that I have and I don’t know, but I do want to go where I can play, where I can be happy and where I feel that I am loved by everyone.
“I’ve already played in France, I’ve been in several good leagues. Only Italy and the Premier League are missing.”
CASH ‘N KARI?
Loris Karius is back training with Liverpool after his ill-fated move to Besiktas last season.
The German stopper, 27, spent last season on loan at the Turkish club but cut his stint there short at the start of the coronavirus crisis.
He has been training with Jurgen Klopp’s side in Austria with his future still up in the air.
SEE YOU PEDRO
Pedro has landed in Rome to complete his move to AS Roma on a three-year contract.
Pedro has just landed in Roma. Contract signed until June 2023. Confirmed and official soon. 🛬🇪🇸 @SkySport #transfers #Pedro #Roma #CFC https://t.co/c1nsZqpUEP
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 17, 2020
TAKING THE MIK
Jon Obi-Mikel has arrived at Stoke’s training ground ahead of a potential move to the Potters.
Thanks to @scottscfc for the pic. pic.twitter.com/297VX9dsoo
— lee dzierzkowski (@Lee180cosky) August 17, 2020
VILLA’S CHERRY PICKER
Aston Villa have joined the race to sign Bournemouth keeper Aaron Ramsdale, according to reports.
The Cherries stopper was relegated with Villa surviving at the South Coast club’s expense.
Now Bournemouth are looking to raise funds by offloading some of their top talent, with Ramsdale up for sale, according to Sky Sports News.
Pepe Reina had an uncomfortable return to the Premier League last season, while Orjan Nyland was not on the winning side in a Prem game all season.
‘HAES IS NICE
Arsenal have agreed personal terms with Gabriel Magalhaes, according to reports.
The Telegraph report that the Brazilian, 22, is a huge step closer to joining the Emirates imminently.
Napoli were set to rival Arsenal for the centre-back, but they could not afford his £27million price tag.
That leaves the path clear for Edu to do business and draft in the exciting Brazil youngster.
Lille have also had enquiries for Gabriel from Manchester United, but the Red Devils appear to have focused all their efforts on landing Jadon Sancho.
Manchester United are reportedly considering a move for Juventus winger Douglas Costa.
Sky Sport Italia claim the Red Devils have been a fan of the Brazilian for several years but have concerns over his injury record.
Costa, who turns 30 next month, recently revealed he considered quitting football due to his fitness issues.
The Juve ace has suffered 18 different major injuries during his career – including a calf problem that ruled him out for nearly four months last season.
Costa has made just seven Serie A starts this term and has struggled to replicate his best form since his move from Bayern Munich.
He is one of the main players thought set to be sold to raise funds for new Juventus boss Andrea Pirlo this summer.
Barcelona are set to make a fresh approach to sign Neymar in an attempt to start the rebuild, according to reports.
The Catalan giants are in disarray with the team humiliated by Bayern Munich, the manager about to be sacked and their best player at loggerheads with the board.
And according to Sport in Spain, they are lining up a transfer offer to try and lure Neymar back to the Nou Camp.
The report states Barca will bid £54million and offer Antoine Griezmann as part of a deal.
They see their former forward, who left in 2017 to join Paris Saint-Germain for a world-record £198m, as the best option to help fix the dire problems as quickly as possible.
ALL GONE RON
Juventus reportedly no longer consider Cristiano Ronaldo ‘non-transferable’ and could decide to cash-in for £54million.
Sport claim Paris Saint-Germain are keeping an eye on developments and may make a move after the Champions League has finished.
Ronaldo’s super-agent Jorge Mendes has already been offering him out to Europe’s biggest clubs ever since Juventus’ European Cup exit.
Despite a record-breaking campaign in front of goal and another Serie A title, the Portugal superstar’s season ultimately ended in disappointment.
Defeats in the Suppercoppa Italiana and Coppa Italia final were compounded by crashing out of the Champions League.
In the wake of the fall to Lyon, Maurizio Sarri was sacked and replaced by inexperienced club legend Andrea Pirlo.
Vincent Kompany has retired from playing football in order to become Anderlecht manager.
The Manchester City legend, 34, took the job as player-manager of the Belgian giants last summer.
However, he stepped down from the managerial side after Anderlecht endured their worst start to a season since 1998-99.
Frank Vercauteren took over as head coach, but endured a frosty relationship with Kompany, according to local reports.
Vercauteren has now left Anderlecht.
Kompany will take over as head coach once again as he aims to bring a Pep Guardiola-style of play to the team.
Chelsea are in the home straight with the Kai Havertz deal, according to reports.
Goal reporter Kevin Palmer tweeted: “Chelsea are in the ‘final stages’ of negotiations over a deal for Kai Havertz.
“Discussions are focusing on the structure of performance related payments.
“It seems like this is a deal edging towards to a conclusion.”
Chelsea are in the ‘final stages’ of negotiations over a deal for Kai Havertz. Discussions are focusing on the structure of performance related payments.
It seems like this is a deal edging towards to a conclusion #CFC pic.twitter.com/HoTQ8B5F4m
— Kevin Palmer (@RealKevinPalmer) August 17, 2020
Leeds United have reportedly made their first bid to sign Basel striker Arthur Cabral.
Brazilian outlet Globo Esporte claim the Whites have offered around £16.3million but the Swiss side are holding out for closer to £18m.
That would mark a swift profit for Basel, who recently activated a permanent option in his loan contract to sign Cabral for a measly £3.6m.
The 22-year-old had scored 18 goals in 39 games for the Swiss Super League side after initially arriving from Palmeiras last summer.
The report adds that Marcelo Bielsa has specifically asked Leeds to sign Cabral, who is also said to be keen on a move to the Premier League.
The striker’s former sides Palmeiras and Ceara still retain a small percentage of his economic rights.
HAVE A HART
Tottenham’s tilt for Joe Hart has taken a step closer, with the deal for the former England stopper set to be announced, according to Fabrizio Romano.
The keeper, 33, has left Burnley after his contract expired and was a pundit for BT Sport in the studio during Manchester City’s defeat to Lyon in the Champions League on Saturday night.
Tottenham have reached an agreement with Joe Hart to sign him as a free agent, here we go 🤝
Spurs are also considering to open talks soon to extend Hugo Lloris contract. No chances atm to include Ivan Perisic in a swap deal with Inter for Ndombele. ⚪️ #THFC #Spurs #transfers
— Fabrizio Romano (@FabrizioRomano) August 17, 2020
WORK LIKE A DEVIL
Harry Maguire played more minutes than any other footballer in the world during an exhausting 2019-20 season.
But the season ended in defeat as Manchester United crashed out of the Europa League after a 2-1 semi-final defeat to Sevilla.
The 6ft 4in defender arrived at Old Trafford last summer in a blockbuster £80million transfer.
While the fee raised eyebrows, he didn’t miss a single minute of his side’s 2019-20 Premier League campaign – the first outfielder to achieve such a feat since Gary Pallister in 1994-95.
And boss Ole Gunnar Solskjaer has almost always leaned on him in the cup competitions too.
With the Red Devils having reached semi-finals of both domestic cups, as well as the latter stages of the Europa League – the games have come thick and fast.
The Premier League’s opening day fixtures appear to have been leaked – with Manchester United vs Arsenal on the agenda.
The 2020-21 Fantasy Premier League campaign was launched on Saturday, giving fans the chance to build their teams nice and early.
But some eagle-eyed supporters have noticed an apparent blunder – with players’ next opponents seemingly being listed.
Should these be correct, the Premier League’s September 12 return will be headlined by a blockbuster clash between Man Utd and Arsenal at Old Trafford.
If true, the pair will meet for the first time since New Year’s Day, when Nicolas Pepe and Sokratis goals inspired the Gunners to a rousing 2-0 victory.
TURN AUBA A NEW LEAF
Arsenal have reportedly agreed a new £250,000-a-week contract with Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang.
The club captain, 31, has just one year remaining on his current Emirates deal.
And there were suggestions he would be off this summer with interest from Barcelona, Inter Milan and even Chelsea and Manchester United.
But after his match-winning performance in the FA Cup final a fortnight ago, the Gunners have been working hard to get an extension finalised.
According to the Daily Telegraph, sources believe the signing is “extremely close”.
The new deal is thought to be worth £250,000 per week for the next three years.
Arsenal have been dealt a blow with Atletico Madrid convinced Thomas Partey will stay this summer – despite his replacement already having been lined-up.
Gunners boss Mikel Arteta is hoping to add some star quality to his midfield ranks this summer, with £45million-rated Atleti ace Partey targeted.
However, the LaLiga giants are certain they won’t part with him – despite being close to signing £36m star Napoli star Allan, according to reports.
Sky Sports journalist Matteo Moretto revealed Diego Simeone was confident in keeping hold of Partey this summer.
He tweeted: “To this day, Atletico Madrid is convinced that Thomas Partey is going to stay.”
Quique Setien has been sacked by Barcelona, the club’s president allegedly confirmed.
Josep Bartomeu is understood to have told reporters on Sunday night that the decision to axe the boss was finalised.
He spoke with Spanish outlet Cadena COPE following a meeting with the Barca board, including Eric Abidal.
Bartomeu is believed to have said: “He is out,” when asked about Setien’s position.
Barcelona are yet to make an official announcement.