Southampton’s FA Cup match against Shrewsbury was cancelled following the outbreak of Shrews Covid-19

0

Due to a coronavirus outbreak at the Sky Bet League One club, Southampton’s FA Cup third-round match against Shrewsbury has been cancelled. The game was expected to take place on Saturday, but Covid-19 was tested positive by multiple Shrewsbury players and staff.

The @FA announced that the third round match of @shrewsweb’s #EmiratesFACup against @SouthamptonFC will not take place on Saturday 9 January at 8 p.m. As expected.- Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) January 7, 2021Read a statement on Southampton’s website: “Southampton’s FA Cup third round match at home to Shrewsbury Town will not take place as planned this Saturday. “This morning after a number of Shrewsbury players and staff tested positive for Covid-19, the club was told of the decision by the Football Association. Shrewsbury told the FA that they will not be able to play the game because it was not safe to play on medical advice. Since last week, the League One team has been unable to practice and has closed its training ground for 10 days at Sundorne Castle. Southampton Emirates FA Cup fixture #Salop- Shrewsbury Town FC (@shrewsweb) January 7, 2021 Rachel Robinson, Public Healing Director of Shropshire The club acted responsibly and took all appropriate measures to avoid the spread of the virus, which involved the closing of the training ground and the isolation of all close contacts in this situation. “Alex McCarthy tested positive for Covid-19 (Jon Super/PA)Southampton had their own concerns last week after goalkeeper Alex McCarthy tested positive for the coronavirus and was forced to miss his side’s win against Liverpool. Shrewsbury’s statement added: “The health and welfare of all staff of the Shrewsbury Town Football Club is paramount and the club regularly takes all appropriate measures to protect ev. Both Aston Villa and Middlesbrough have been interrupted by a series of positive tests in their preparations for third round matches. “Villa, which hosts Premier League rivals Liverpool on Friday night, closed its training ground for Bodymoor Heath after it was revealed that the virus had been contracted by “a significant number” of players and staff. Aston Villa will confirm that the club closed its training ground for Bodymoor Heath following a massive coronavirus outbreak.-. Aston Villa (@AVFCOfficial) January 7, 2021A statement released on Thursday afternoon read, “Aston Villa can confirm that the club has closed its Bodymoor Heath training ground following a significant outbreak of the coronavirus. “A large number of first-team players and employees tested positive after being regularly tested on Monday and were isolated immediately. “A second round of testing was conducted immediately and yielded additional positive results today. “First-team training was cancelled ahead of the FA Cup match against Liverpool tomorrow. https://t.co/W59YtNpeOC- Middlesbrough FC (@Boro) January 7, 2021 “Discussions are ongoing between the club’s medical representatives, the Football Association and the Premier League. “The confirmation of Villa came hours after positive tests were confirmed by Boro, who traveled to Brentford on Saturday. The Sky Bet Championship club, whose manager Neil Warnock tested positive last year, closed its Rockliffe Park training center on Monday after reported cases between first-team players and employees. On Thursday morning, a further round of training, which included U23 players, took place, with results anticipated before the weekend. On Wednesday, Derby managing director Stephen Pearce announced that the club will send a squad of U23 and U18 players to Chorley’s Saturday FA Cup match after the Corona virus outbreak closed the training ground of the club. Manchester City FC may confirm that their Saturday scheduled Barclays FA Women’s Super League match against West Ham United has been postponed. #ManCity | https://t.co/axa0klD5re- Manchester City (@ManCity) January 7, 2021 The entire first-team squad of Wayne Rooney and Derby will miss the third-round match in Lancashire as Pearce revealed that nine players and employees have tested positive for Covid-19 on the bubble.

Share.

Leave A Reply