Roy Jones Jr has branded upcoming opponent Mike Tyson a ‘giant monster’ and conceded his bout with the former heavyweight champion is a ‘very risky’ ahead of the exhibition event.
Iron Mike, 54, has recently announced he will take to the ring for the first time since hanging up his gloves in 2005 and that former four-weight world champion Jones Jr, 51, would be his opponent.
Despite having a combined age of 105, the pair will step in the ring once more with an eight-round bout scheduled for September 12 in California, in what has proved a controversial move, given the pair’s respective ages.
And Jones Jr has admitted that fighting at his age carries concerning risks, particularly against an opponent as fearsome as Tyson.
‘His legs are huge and his thighs are huge. His arms are huge and his neck is huge!’ he told World Boxing News.
‘It’s very risky, yes. But God’s in control of all. [Previously] I was beating everybody in every weight class I was in, so what you gonna do?
‘It’s like David and Goliath. He’s a giant monster, we know. I’m little David and all I’ve got is God on my side, which is all I’m gonna need.’
Jones Jr has more recent experience in the ring, having last competed in 2018, although Tyson has looked in great shape in a number of training clips shared on social media.
Former champion George Foreman has expressed concern over the pair fighting, before adding it was a ‘beautiful thing’ that the two boxing greats would return once more.
‘There’s a time when you gotta worry about your health, but it’s a beautiful thing that they would even come out,’ he told TMZ.
‘I would just tell them it’s really dangerous but when you make up your mind to do something like that, you can’t tell them ‘don’t do it.’