Roger Federer responds to the abduction of Peng Shuai, while the WTA continues to demand an investigation.

0

Roger Federer responds to the abduction of Peng Shuai, while the WTA continues to demand an investigation.

Tennis officials have been unable to contact Peng Shuai, who has been missing since accusing China’s former vice premier Zhang Gaoli of sexual assault.

Roger Federer has expressed his concern regarding the whereabouts of Peng Shuai, a missing Chinese tennis player. Since accusing China’s former vice premier of sexual abuse on November 2, the two-time Grand Slam champion has been silent.

In a lengthy Weibo post on November 2, Peng Shuai recounted allegations of sexual assault against Zhang Gaoli, as well as an on-again, off-again consensual affair with the now-retired politician dating back to 2011.

Since sharing the post about the former vice premier, who is more than 40 years her senior, which was erased within half an hour, the former doubles No. 1 has been missing.

Zhang, who sat on China’s top ruling council, the Politburo Standing Committee, from 2012 to 2017, has not replied to the charges, and a representative for Beijing’s foreign ministry said when questioned about the allegations, “I have not heard of it and it is not a diplomatic question.”

Several tennis players have spoken out about the situation, requesting verification of her safety and location, as well as an investigation into her accusations.

Federer has now joined Serena Williams, Novak Djokovic, and Rafael Nadal in expressing concern about Peng’s abduction.

During the Nitto ATP Finals semi-finals day on Saturday, the 20-time Grand Slam champion chatted with Sky Sports Italy (November 20).

“I hope she is safe,” he said, addressing the missing Chinese tennis star. “The tennis world is united for her.”

The 40-year-old also acknowledged that he had been closely following the news and developments, and that he had spoken with ATP Chairman Andrea Gaudenzi about it.

ATP No. 8 in the world During his post-match press conference on Saturday, following his defeat to Daniil Medvedev, Casper Ruud was another player who expressed concern for the 35-year-old.

“I know that all of the players here are scared and disturbed,” the 22-year-old remarked of the “most significant” problem in tennis right now. We all hope to hear from her soon, and that everything is going well for her.” Meanwhile, the WTA’s CEO and Chairman has demanded that Peng’s allegations against the former vice president be investigated. “Brinkwire News Summary.”

Share.

Comments are closed.