Rangers open talks over potential moves for Bournemouth duo amid English interest

0

RANGERS have held discussions with Bournemouth over potential moves for Jack Simpson and Nnamdi Ofoborh as boss Steven Gerrard looks to add to his Ibrox ranks.

The Light Blues boss has previously played down the chances of Rangers doing business during the January transfer window and a Bosman deal for Aberdeen forward Scott Wright is still ongoing.

Rangers have made the Dons aware of their intention to sign Wright on a pre-contract this summer but the arrangement could be brought forward to allow Wright to play his part in the final stages of the Premiership title race.

Gerrard has also now expressed his interest in Simpson and Ofoborh and Rangers have held initial talks with Bournemouth regarding potential deals for both players.

The Cherries have already accepted an offer from Cardiff City for Simpson as the Bluebirds eye a move for the 24-year-old this month.

Boss Jason Tindall confirmed the approach for the defender earlier this week and Rangers will now have to move quickly if they are to beat Cardiff to the signing of Simpson.

“I found out that Cardiff put an offer in for Jack on Friday,” Tindall said. “I think it was late Friday afternoon they made contact with the guys above and put an offer into the football club, that I think was initially rejected – then at some point after that was accepted.

“I don’t know the ins and outs – I don’t really get involved in that sort of thing.

“But I think that’s just credit to Jack and the performances he’s been delivering since he’s been in the team.

“All his hard work while he wasn’t in the team I think has paid off because when he came into the team he delivered some really good performances – hence why such a good and big club like Cardiff have come in for him and want to sign him.

“What happens beyond that is out of my control really. All I can say is I’ve been really happy with Simmo while he has been here.

“What happens moving forward is obviously not down to me.”

Gerrard also faces English competition for midfielder Ofoborh after he attracted interest from Charlton boss Lee Bowyer.

The 21-year-old made his Bournemouth debut in September and Bowyer fears he could be priced out of a deal this month.

He said: “I like the player but it’s not going to be realistic bringing him here.

“There are a lot more attractive offers for him at a higher level and even some abroad as well.

“We’re working hard to try and bring someone in and we’re hopeful we can do that before the weekend.”

Share.

Leave A Reply