Novak Djokovic’s players’ organization issues a statement regarding the vaccine controversy.

0

Novak Djokovic’s players’ association issues a statement on the vaccine controversy.

NOVAK DJOKOVIC says he will comment on his “detention” in Australia “at his leisure” after his visa was revoked when he arrived in Melbourne for the Australian Open.

During the saga surrounding Novak Djokovic’s medical exemption, the Professional Tennis Players Association has spoken out.

In the year 2020, the world No. 1 co-founded the organization with Canadian tennis player Vasek Pospisil.

After receiving a medical exemption, Djokovic flew to Melbourne to compete in the Australian Open, but his visa was cancelled upon arrival, and he now awaits the outcome of an appeal hearing on Monday.

Djokovic’s participation in the Australian Open had been in doubt after tournament organizers confirmed that all players must be fully vaccinated to compete, but he announced his participation on Tuesday, ending months of speculation.

The nine-time Australian Open champion took to Instagram with a photo of himself at the airport to announce he was flying to Melbourne after receiving “an exemption permission,” which was later confirmed by Tennis Australia, who said he “applied for a medical exemption which was granted following a rigorous review process involving two separate independent panels of medical experts.”

While in flight to Australia, Australian border officials discovered an “issue” with Djokovic’s visa, as it was reported that a member of Djokovic’s team had applied for the “wrong type,” which did not cover medical exemptions.

When Djokovic arrived in Melbourne late on Wednesday, he was taken to an airport room by Border Force and interrogated overnight.

The 20-time Grand Slam winner was reportedly trying to enter the country on the grounds that he had recovered from Covid-19 infection in the previous six months, which was the reason for his medical exemption granted by Tennis Australia, but this was denied by border officials.

When border officials and the Victorian government demanded more proof, Djokovic provided “minimal” evidence, backed up by only one doctor.

“The ABF can confirm that Mr Djokovic failed to provide appropriate evidence to meet the entry requirements to Australia, and his visa has been subsequently cancelled,” border officials said on Thursday morning.

“Non-citizens who enter Australia without a valid visa or who have had their visa cancelled will be detained and removed.”

The 34-year-old was scheduled to be deported, but his attorneys filed an appeal.

“Brinkwire News Summary.”

Share.

Comments are closed.