Press "Enter" to skip to content

‘Mike Tyson signed terms on comeback fight TWO MONTHS AGO’

Heavyweight legend Mike Tyson signed terms on his sensational return to the ring almost two months ago, according to Roy Jones Jr’s business partner.

Tyson, aged 54, will face Roy Jones Jr, 51, in his first fight for 15 years in Los Angeles on September 12. 

The eight-round exhibition clash on September 12 is billed as the ‘Frontline Battle’. 

Tyson has been undergoing rigorous training in recent months and he has been open in his willingness to return to the ring – with a number of possible opponents mooted including Evander Holyfield, 57.

But now he has confirmed a fight with Jones Jr, who is considered to be one of the best pound-for-pound boxers in history. 

The pair were filmed signing their contracts, with Tyson appearing to smoke marijuana as he did so.

Dean Toole, CEO Of Island Fights and Jones’ business partner, told Sportsmail: ‘Roy will fight anybody, anywhere. 

It’s Official!!! MIKE TYSON I’M FIGHTING ROY JONES JR. … 8-Round Exhibition!!! The 54-year-old boxing legend has been training his ass off to get back in the ring … and now, we’ve learned his first opponent is one of the greatest fighters EVER! “Iron” Mike will take on Roy Jones Jr. on Sept. 12 in an 8-round exhibition being called Frontline Battle — available on Pay-per-view and on the social media platform, Triller. Mike Tyson/Weibo/AP We’re told the fight will take place in California — and will be sanctioned by the California State Athletic Commission. The event will include an undercard and live musical performances from top artists — and since Triller is backed by big stars like Snoop, Lil Wayne, Future, The Weeknd, Pitbull, Marshmello and more — the entertainment should be pretty solid! FYI, Triller is a rapidly growing social media platform that’s gunning to take over the TikTok crowd — and while it’s previously focused on music (including partnerships with major labels) it’s now making a concentrated foray into live events including sports. Tyson has been talking about a comeback for months and got some massive offers — so, we’re guessing Triller shelled out some big bucks to land the rights to his first comeback fight. There’s more … we’ve also learned Triller locked up the rights to a 10-part docuseries featuring Mike and Roy preparing for their fight … with 2 episodes dropping every week until fight night, streaming on the platform. As for the combatants, RJJ is 51 — and held titles in 4 different weight classes … middleweight, super middleweight, light heavyweight and heavyweight. Roy most recently fought in Feb. 2018 — but he’s been training constantly and feels he can compete with Tyson. Of course, Tyson hasn’t had a pro fight since June 2005 … and battled substance abuse and weight issues after he stepped away. But now, Tyson says he’s made health and fitness a priority again — and wants to get back into the ring to help raise money for charity.

A post shared by Dean Toole (@deantooleofficial) on Jul 23, 2020 at 9:34am PDT

‘If someone calls Roy out in his career it’s a done deal, he could be 80-years-old – if someone mentions his name, he’s fighting them.’

The fight was initially sealed two months ago, with Toole adding: ‘Roy called me (at) about 11.30 at night about a month and a half, two months ago, and told me he’d got the fight, he was fighting Tyson and he sent me a video of them on Zoom – both signing their contracts.’  

Jones Jr, a four-weight world champion, won fights in 2017 and 2018 in what was his 75th pro fight. 

Jones Jr told sports.ru: ‘I had no intention of going back and fighting again but, for the sake of Mike Tyson, I agree to make an exception.’

Jones Jr still needs to pass medicals in California, with paperwork being submitted for them this week. 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *