Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mike Tyson loses it while filming promo for Roy Jones Jr fight

Mike Tyson unleashed a foul-mouth tirade while filming a promo for his comeback fight with Roy Jones Jr – describing the content as ‘a f***ing joke’.

The 54-year-old’s sensational return to the ring is being filmed for a 10-part documentary series with social video platform Triller, who have reportedly paid over £38million ($50m) to secure the rights for the fight.

And while filming some promotional work for the bout, Tyson was left infuriated by a series of questions he was being asked to say to the camera.

Before his rant, it appears as if Tyson was directed to ask his opponent to ‘name a song and movie that gets you pumped up’.

Follow @MikeTyson and #RoyJonesJr journey on Triller #TysonJones #FrontlineBattle pic.twitter.com/Spq7ehhQ72

However, the ‘Baddest Man on the Planet’ wasn’t having any of it. 

Tyson unleashed: ‘I don’t wanna do this. It’s really not me. I wouldn’t be saying this bull****.

‘I’m not going to ask him to be playing no song or movie or what he likes. You wanna sell the fight, we’re not gonna sell it talking f***ing nursery rhymes, f***ing novel stuff.

‘A f***ing joke and these guys are not trying to kill each other. Hey, what song or movie gets you pumped up, baby? Come on, man. That’s me? That’s what you consider me. You consider me a b****?’

Tyson, who became arguably the most feared heavyweight of all time after becoming the youngest ever to win the world title in 1987, was due to take on 51-year-old Jones in a controversial eight-round exhibition in California on September 12. 

However, the bout has now been put back until late November after organisers decided to make the pay-per-view event bigger with more fights on the undercard, it was announced on Wednesday.

Tyson said: ‘Changing the date to November 28 will give more people the opportunity to see the biggest comeback in boxing history.

‘This temporary inconvenience will last longer than Roy Jones Jr. He better be ready, I’m coming full force.’ 

Jones last fought in 2018 while Tyson’s last professional fight was a defeat by Kevin McBride 15 years ago.

Andy Foster, the head of the California State Athletic Commission, previously said that he expects the clash between Jones, 51, and Tyson, 54, to be a sparring session. 

However, Jones Jr stressed that he will have to defend himself as if he was in a real fight. 

‘It’s a sparring session, but you have to remember, I’m the small guy here,’ Jones Jr told Yahoo Sports.

‘Andy Foster can’t control Mike once Mike gets in the ring. I’ve got to defend myself like I’m in a real fight. If Mike goes out there and decides to start hammering, what am I supposed to do, look at Andy?

‘Hell no! I’ve got to defend myself and get back in it. I have heard what Andy Foster said, but I also know what Mike said and I can’t depend upon Andy Foster when I am in the ring with Mike. You hear me? I have to get myself ready for whatever Mike may bring. I have to be ready for war.’ 

News of the return has been received variably throughout the boxing world, with Eddie Hearn predicting an ‘absolute disaster’ while Floyd Mayweather and David Haye expecting a genuine showdown in the exhibition bout.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *