Manchester United have been handed a boost in their ongoing pursuit of Jadon Sancho, after Borussia Dortmund reportedly identified his replacement.
Tough negotiators Dortmund are still yet to see United meet their £100million valuation for the 20-year-old, who they signed from Manchester City for £8m in 2017.
Yet now, with the transfer window set to open on Monday, Dortmund have already been watching over the player they feel can replace Sancho, according to the Telegraph.
Dortmund have earmarked Werder Bremen’s Milot Rashica, and are said to be ready to make a move should Sancho leave the club.
United are understood to value Sancho at around the £50m mark given the uncertain nature of the transfer market in the midst of the coronavirus pandemic, but are believed to be willing to pay up to £80m to get their man.
Michael Zorc, the Dortmund sporting director, is now said to be pressing ahead with plans for Sancho to depart as he expects negotiations for the England star to continue throughout the summer.
Sancho has remained coy on his future in the Bundesliga, and signed a new Dortmund deal as recently as August 2019.
The youngster doubled his wages, yet interestingly did not extend the duration of his stay past the deal’s current 2022 expiry.
Sancho did seem unsettled at Dortmund earlier in the season, and was dropped for a fixture after reporting back late from international duty.
This was followed by an abject showing in the Klassiker against Bayern Munich, in which he was embarrassingly hauled off before the game had even reached half-time.
United have already made clear they will not embark on a mass spending spree this summer, after chief executive Ed Woodward confirmed the club had been financially impacted by the pandemic.
Regardless, Sancho remains the club’s top target, and following Monday’s opening of the window developments are expected to gather pace.
The London-born forward has 20 goals and 20 assists in 44 games for Dortmund this season.