Despite an earlier suspension and a suspended prison term for soccer abuse, a Brentford supporter convicted in court Monday of racially insulting a rival fan in a video last summer was hired by the club. After a video circulated on social media in September in which he racially insulted a QPR supporter, Steven Green, 39, was barred for life from attending Bees matches, but the club said the ban could be shortened to three years on condition that he completed an education course with former Brentford player Marcus Gayle.
A joint report by the PA news agency and The Times found that in the summer, before moving to a new stadium, Green was hired by the club as part of the ‘Farewell to Griffin Park’ tour, and that he is suspected to be in a relationship with a club employee. Club Statement: Earlier this week, the club launched a rapid investigation into a video shared on social media. #BrentfordFC https://t.co/h1YrgiMO45- Brentford FC (@BrentfordFC) September 17, 2020This was despite Green already serving a four-year suspension between 2011 and 2015 following an assault conviction in connection with a 2010 brawl outside of London’s Liverpool Street station, for which an eight-month suspended prison sentence was also issued. Brentford FC is aware of the punishment levied on Steven Green for making a racist remark in a video shared on social media, the club said in a statement. Brentford FC has already imposed a lifetime ban on this guy, revoked his season ticket to our new stadium and told him that he will not be able to watch any of the matches of our teams. We can confirm that Mr. Green was employed by the c It is extremely offensive and it makes it even worse when it is used in the sense of soccer, when we all know what is going on at the moment. “You’ve been in jail before, for assault, and if you want to go back to jail, you know how to do it,” he said. Green, who represented himself in court, acknowledged that the words he used were “distasteful” and “inappropriate,” and said that it was “a slip of the tongue.” By Feb. 1, the father of two was forced to pay a fine of £ 400 and additional costs of £ 400.