The FA Cup clash between Aston Villa and Liverpool remains in question with a decision on whether the game will proceed on Friday morning after a coronavirus outbreak at the Midlands club. The third-round tie is expected to take place at Villa Park on Friday night, but is in doubt after the club was forced to close its Bodymoor Heath training ground on Thursday after “a large number” of players and stay at Villa Park on Thursday.
The @FA and @AVFCOfficial are working closely to ensure that the third round match against @LFC #EmiratesFACup will go ahead at Villa Park tomorrow night as scheduled. Tomorrow, when the results of the additional COVID-19 tests are available, final confirmation will be made. https://t.co/HmBDvxpQpo- Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) January 7, 2021On Thursday night, the FA statement said, “The @FA and @AVFCOfficial are working closely to ensure that the #EmiratesFACup third round match against @LFC can go ahead as planned tomorrow night at Villa Park. “Final confirmation will be made tomorrow pending the outcome of the additional testing for Covid 19. An earlier statement from Villa read, “An earlier statement from Villa read, ” “A large number of first-team players and staff returned positive tests after being routinely tested on Monday and immediately went into isolation.Aston Villa can confirm the club has closed its Bodymoor Heath training ground following a significant coronavirus outbreak. – Aston Villa (@AVFCOfficial) January 7, 2021 “A second round of testing was carried out immediately and further announced today. First-team training was cancelled ahead of the FA Cup match against Liverpool tomorrow. “First-team training ahead of tomorrow’s FA Cup match against Liverpool has been cancelled. ” The game was supposed to take place on Saturday, but Covid-19 was tested positive by a number of Shrewsbury players and staff. The @FA has announced that @shrewsweb’s #EmiratesFACup third round match against @SouthamptonFC will not take place at 8 pm on Saturday, January 9.-. Emirates FA Cup (@EmiratesFACup) January 7, 2021 The Professional Game Board of the Football Association will meet early on Saturday, January 9.- After a number of Shrewsbury players and staff tested positive for Covid-19, the club was told of the decision by the Football Association this morning. Shrewsbury told the FA that they will not be able to play the game because it was not safe to play on medical advice. Since last week, the League One team has been unable to practice and has closed its training ground for 10 days at Sundorne Castle. Southampton Emirates FA Cup fixture #Salop- Shrewsbury Town FC (@shrewsweb) January 7, 2021 Rachel Robinson, Public Healing Director of Shropshire The club acted responsibly and took all appropriate measures to avoid the spread of the virus, which involved the closing of the training ground and the isolation of all close contacts in this situation. “Last week, after goalkeeper Alex McCarthy tested positive for the coronavirus and was forced to miss the win of his side against Liverpool, Alex McCarthy tested positive for Covid-19 (Jon Super/PA) Southampton had his own concerns. Shrewsbury’s statement added: “The health and welfare of all staff of the Shrewsbury Town Football Club is paramount and the club regularly takes all appropriate steps to protect ev.