FP3 of the Russian Grand Prix has been canceled due to weather, with fears that qualifying may follow.

0

FP3 of the Russian Grand Prix has been canceled due to weather, with fears that qualifying may follow.

The third practice has been canceled due to heavy rain in Sochi.

If the weather for the Russian Grand Prix does not improve after free practice three was cancelled on Saturday morning, FIA Race Director Michael Masi has warned that qualifying could be moved to Sunday morning.

Masi has revealed a plan of attack if the weather continues to cause difficulties in Sochi, with the morning’s Formula 2 support race already being postponed owing to the severe weather nearby.

“As we can see this morning, the weather has been yo-yoing up and down, and the severity of the showers has been rising, with some thunder already joining us,” Masi said.

“However, for today, the procedure will be to aim to start all sessions, have everything ready from an operational standpoint, and then judge the conditions at the moment.”

“We’ve seen from the forecast that we’ll have this level of rain until around 1.30 to 2.00 p.m. local time, and then it’ll drop in the afternoon.”

“From today’s perspective, the priority is obviously Formula One qualifying this afternoon, so Formula One will take precedence; then, we were fortunate enough to be able to schedule the first Formula 3 race yesterday for this morning, which, based on what we saw when we arrived at the circuit this morning, was absolutely the right decision; it was torrential when we should’ve been having the race.”

“Now we’ll focus on the day ahead and take it one step at a time.”

With the weather expected to improve in the afternoon, Masi said that light will play a major role in determining whether or not the session will take place.

“The deciding issue this afternoon will be the light; sunset is at 6.15 p.m. here, but with weather like this, light drops much earlier, so that will be our cut-off point,” Masi said.

“If qualifying isn’t possible today, as we’ve seen a few times previously, we’ll redo a program and hold qualifying on Sunday morning,” says the team.

Teams were aware that their schedules might be affected on Saturday due to the prediction remaining unchanged since Friday morning, with Lewis Hamilton adamant that Mercedes had done all they could to avoid it. “Brinkwire News Summary.”

Share.

Comments are closed.