David Beckham’s Inter Miami were finally able to celebrate their first ever win after bringing an end to the horror streak that has dogged them since their inception.
And he marked the occasion with a picture on Instagram, having stayed up until the early hours to see his club finally break their duck.
Posting online, the 45-year-old said: ‘Couldn’t be there for our historic first win in our stadium but I was there in spirit. Congratulations to Diego Alonso, our staff , players and of course our fans that also couldn’t be there.
‘Winning feels good right Inter Miami. It’s 3am, hairs a mess, flags the wrong way around but don’t care cause we won.’
The franchise, co-owned by the former Manchester United, Real Madrid and England superstar, made their home debut on Saturday – but came into the clash having lost five consecutive games since joining the league.
Inter also crashed out of the MLS is Back Tournament behind closed doors after three straight defeats last month, but have gained their first glimpse at glory after edging to the nervy win.
Julian Carranza handed the hosts the lead on 12 minutes, but Orlando struck back to equalise just six minutes later through Daryl Bike.
Carranza struck again before the half-hour mark and Inter then moved further in front soon after the break when Rodolfo Pizarro volleyed home.
The clash was thrown back into the balance once again when Orlando wideman, and former Old Trafford hero, Nani found the target with just ten minutes left to play – but Inter stood firm to collect all three points.
After watching his team inaugurate Inter Miami CF Stadium with the memorable moment in history, boss Diego Alonso said: ‘I feel very happy. I think the guys deserved it, I think that the staff deserved it, the owners, and above all the fans deserved it a lot.
‘I think we’ve suffered a lot, I feel like we deserved more before. We had to wait for this victory for a long time, but I think we got it in the best way playing at home, and winning strongly.’
The month spent between their most recent fixtures has served the team well. Inter were able to spend more time together as a group following the defeat against New York City FC, and also returned to regular training amid the current health crisis.
Beckham and Co had been forced to endure a four-month wait to search for their first win after suffering from horrific form in early March.
Couple of nights before our home opener @intermiamicf wishing we were able to travel to be there in our beautiful stadium with all our loyal fans ⚽️
The 45-year-old was a notable absentee from the clash, however, due to the government currently advising against all non-essential travel to the United States.
He has missed out twice on watching his football team in person, but travelled to Miami with his family in March – prior to the coronavirus lockdown – to watch the club take on LA Galaxy in the first game of the campaign.
Beckham took to Instagram to post a photo of himself wearing a hoodie adorned with Inter’s logo, and wrote: ‘Couple of nights before our home opener @intermiamicf, wishing we were able to travel to be there in our beautiful stadium with all our loyal fans.’