Press "Enter" to skip to content

Cops fire tear gas at frustrated PSG supporters in Paris after Champions League final defeat against Bayern Munich

PSG fans have clashed with riot police in Paris as the club were defeated in the Champions League final by Bayern Munich.

Tear gas and baton charges were used by French police on thousands of football fans as clashes erupted along the Champs Elysees.

It followed the capital’s biggest club – Paris Saint Germain – losing 1-0 to German side Bayern at the final in Lisbon.

Despite France’s capital being a coronavirus red zone, crowds had built up on the Champs Elysee and around PSG’s home ground, the Parc de Princes.

Pictures shows riot police clashing with fans as they fired tear gas into crowds.

Sirens could be heard all over the city, as squads of riot police rushed to ongoing incidents involving angry fans. 

Fires were lit and property was trashed all over central Paris.

Shocking photos showed the destruction as cars were tipped over and set on fire on the most famous boulevard in Paris.

One group of rioters was caught on video appearing to loot a jewellery store after the window was smashed before being charged by cops.

PSG fans could also be seen climbing on cars, and at least one vehicle was flipped over while another was set on fire.

French interior minister Gerald Darmanin tweeted: “Thank you to the police who are currently carrying out interventions and arrests of small violent groups, troublemakers.”

Mr Darmanin added that fans had gathered around the Parc de Princes in an “unacceptable excess” as cops enforced lockdown rules.

Videos from the chaos also showed supporters firing fireworks over the heads of police.

Paris police tweeted that at least 22 arrests had been made during the violent clashes.

Cops added as of midnight local time the crowds had been broken up along the Champs Elysees.

“Trouble started before the final whistle,’ said a fan at the Parc des Princes.

“Riot police were out in force, and they came under attack when PSG went one-nil down.”

Scores of tear gas canisters were aimed at fans, who fired red flares and fireworks back.

Videos posted on Twitter showed the concourse around the Parc looking and sounding like a war zone.

At one stage a white police vehicle was attacked by a small group of fans – prompting police to move in.

Riot police were also involved in skirmishes with gangs in other parts of the city, including in packed cafes.

Fans had wandered onto busy roads waving flags and scarves, and forcing the traffic to stop.

PSG flags could be seen waving as fans moved past burning rubbish bins amid in the chaos.

Paris has introduced some of the strictest Covid-19 measures in Europe in recent days, including making masks obligatory in many public spaces.

Hundreds of fines were issued for people not wearing masks and not respecting social distance rules.

There has been a spike in cases of the disease across France, meaning it is now on Britain’s quarantine list.

Anyone coming back to the UK from the country now has to self-isolate for 14 days as the government knocked away the air bridge.

Despite this, thousands of PSG fans were on the street, and there were 3,000 police and gendarmes trying to keep order.

The game had been played behind closed doors in Lisbon because of the pandemic, meaning millions watching around the world on television.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *