After a vicious attack behind McDonald’s, a man was left with significant brain injuries.


Luke Brewer suffered “catastrophic” brain injuries and was left in a vegetative state for after the attack. It is expected that the victim will never live independently again

A man has been left with severe brain injuries after being savagely beaten behind a McDonald’s.

Luke Brewer suffered “catastrophic” brain injuries when he was attacked on April 5 by Brian Marsden behind the fast-food joint in Brighouse, West Yorkshire.

The victim was left in a vegetative state for some time after the attack and will never be able to live independently again.

Marsden, 44, was jailed for 12 years on Wednesday as a result of the attack, YorkshireLive reports.

Bradford Crown Court heard that McDonald’s staff had seen the two men sitting together in a park behind the premises on Bradford Road.

Prosecutor Helen Chapman said a witness later saw Marsden throwing a crutch into some bushes and then saw him stamping on something out of sight.

Another staff member also saw drunken Marsden kicking at something before seeing the defendant’s hands were “red with blood”.

When a police officer arrived on the scene Mr Brewer was unconscious on the ground and Marsden was still kicking him in the face.

Marsden claimed that Mr Brewer had attacked him, but said he had gotten the better of him.

Chapman said the victim’s injuries meant he was unable to provide any account of what had happened and no one else had seen a confrontation between the two men.

Mr Brewer suffered extensive facial injuries in the attack as well as blood in his airways, a blood clot on his brain and nasal fractures.

To stay up to date with all the latest news, make sure you sign up to one of our newsletters here.

Chapman said he needed feeding by nursing staff because he was “a choking risk” and there were plans to move him to a specialist brain injury unit.

She said the complainant needed care and supervision 24 hours a day, seven days a week.

In a victim impact statement, Mr Brewer’s mother described how she was told her son may not live when she arrived at the hospital.

She said he now had no quality of life and was likely to remain in that condition.

Marsden was initially charged with attempted murder, but earlier this month the prosecution accepted his guilty plea to an alternative charge of causing grievous. Brinkwire presents summary news.


Comments are closed.