Brexit: What will change on 1 January?


The end of 2020 marks the end of the transition phase to Brexit and heralds a new age in the relationship between the UK and the European Union.

We look at some important questions about how aspects of life can change from January 1 for the average British citizen:

– Am I going to need a visa for an EU holiday?

The right to free travel between the UK and the EU will end at the end of the transition period.

It will be possible for British people to holiday or take a business trip to EU countries, but it won’t be as convenient as it was before.

Tourists may not need a visa for short trips to most EU nations, as well as to Iceland, Liechtenstein, Switzerland and Norway, and can stay for up to 90 days over a period of 180 days.

Bulgaria, Croatia, Cyprus and Romania are subject to different rules: visits to other EU countries do not take 90 days.

For an extended stay in an EU country for work, study, or business travel, a visa or permit may be necessary.

There are no modifications for travel to Ireland.

It should be noted that it is likely that the current pandemic of coronavirus will continue to impact travel rules into 2021.

– Am I needed to renew my passport?

You will need to renew your passport from 1 January onwards to enter most countries in Europe if it is less than six months old or if it is more than 10 years old.

The renewal process costs between £ 75,50 and £ 85, and a new post-Brexit blue template is now issued for passports.

Stanley Johnson confirms French passport application

– Are there going to be more border checks?

It will not be just as quick to fly to the EU as before (Steve Parsons/PA)

British travelers may have to display a return or onward ticket at border checks, demonstrate they have enough cash for their stay and use separate queues from EU residents.

From Jan. 1, with some exceptions, such as baby formula, British citizens would not be permitted to take poultry, milk or items containing them into EU countries.

– Should I take my pet with me abroad?

Jan. 1 (Tim Ockenden/PA) terminates the UK-EU pet passport scheme.

The UK-EU pet passport scheme ends on January 1, and an animal health certificate will be provided for all animals brought into the EU.

The UK government encourages individuals to allow this certificate to be obtained for a month and any other vaccines their pet may require.

– In the EU, would I have access to health care?

British nationals in the EU, as well as citizens from member states in the UK, will continue to have access to health insurance.

During a temporary stay in an EU country, the European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) enables British citizens to access government health care.

Current EHICs, until they expire, remain true. When applying for a new passport, individuals can get a new U.K. In the case of an emergency or medical necessity, the Global Health Insurance Card (GHIC) will provide care.

GHICs and much of the U.K. as of Jan. 1, In Norway, Iceland, Liechtenstein or Switzerland, EHICs do not have coverage and people are encouraged to buy travel insurance.

The government has warned that an EHIC or GHIC is not a travel insurance substitute and encourages passengers to get insurance, even those with pre-existing conditions.

– Would I be able to reach Europe by car?

As evidence of protection, drivers commuting to the EU must have a green car (Dominic Lipinski/PA).

Yes, but additional documentation would be required for you.

A green card and GB sticker will be required for British motorists entering EU countries when taking their own vehicle from Jan. 1.

Green cards are used while traveling overseas as evidence of auto insurance and should be collected from your insurer at least six weeks prior to travel.

In certain EU countries and Norway, an International Driving Permit (IDP) may be required for driving if someone has a paper license or their license has been issued in Gibraltar, Guernsey, Jersey or the Isle of Man.

– Can I still get a free mobile roaming service in the EU?

Customers can consult with their mobile provider to see if there will be new roaming fees beginning Jan. 1 (Lauren Hurley/PA)

In the EU, assured free roaming of mobile phone data will soon be terminated.

The trade deal with the U.K. And the EU contains measures to strengthen cooperation with respect to f


Leave A Reply