Press "Enter" to skip to content

Woman, 20, was left in a body bag for more than two hours after being wrongly declared dead

The 20-year-old Michigan woman who was mistakenly declared dead after suffering a seizure at home had spent more than two hours zipped into a body bag before a mortuary embalmer found her breathing and looking at him, the family’s lawyer revealed today.

Attorney Geoffrey Fieger held a news conference via video on Tuesday afternoon, telling reporters that Timesha Beauchamp remains in critical condition at Sinai-Grace Hospital, where she is on a respirator and her heart is beating on its own, more than 48 hours after she woke up inside a Detroit funeral home. 

‘The doctors are unable to give a prognosis right now, and have indicated that it’s touch and go,’ Fieger said of Beauchamp’s current state. 

Beauchamp was pronounced dead after fire department paramedics and police were summoned to her family’s home in Southfield on a medical emergency call. More than two hours later, the 20-year-old woman was brought in a body bag to James H Cole Home for Funerals.

According to Fieger, a staffer was getting ready to embalm Beauchamp when he opened the bag and discovered that the woman was far from dead.

‘Timesha was alive,’ the lawyer said. ‘Her eyes were open and she was breathing. My recollection is that the embalmer was actually there and was the person who opened the body bag.’

Fieger, who has been retained by Erica Lattimore, Beauchamp’s mother, to investigate what he called the ‘negligence’ that led to Timesha being declared dead, explained that the woman was born with cerebral palsy and requires constant care and breathing treatments three times a day.

On Sunday morning, Beauchamp’s mother and brother, who are in charge of changing, dressing and feeding her, noticed that she had difficulty breathing, and that her lips were pale and surrounded by secretions. The lawyer said she had apparently suffered a seizure. 

The family called 911 and within 15 minutes four Southfield Fire Department paramedics arrived, along with police officers. 

According to a statement from Southfield Fire Chief Johnny Menifee, the first responders performed CPR and other ‘life reviving methods’ for 30 minutes.  

Fieger said the medical responders were told of Timesha’s medical history, the medications she receives and about her daily breathing treatments.

He said what happened next is unclear but Timesha was declared to be dead, even though he said her godmother, who he said is a registered nurse, told the paramedics she had seen Timesha breathing and she felt that she had a pulse.

Fieger said the paramedics dismissed the godmother’s concerns, telling her drugs they had given Timesha were causing those movements.

‘The godmother felt that she saw chest movements and felt that she had a pulse. She told the paramedics and the paramedics told her that the movements were involuntary and were the result of the medication. And they went, according to the family, a total of three times to Timesha’s room to look at her,’ he said. 

Oakland County spokesperson William Mullan told over the phone that after determining that the woman has died, the EMTs followed standard operating procedure and contacted an emergency room physician at an area hospital, who reviewed the patient’s medical data and declared her deceased.

The Southfield Police Department then called the Oakland County Medical Examiner’s Office, saying that an official death declaration has been made for the patient and there was no suspicion of foul play that would have called for an autopsy. 

Based on the information from the police and the ER doctor, a forensic pathologist released Beauchamp, which was still at home, directly to her family to make funeral arrangements. 

‘The Southfield Fire and Police Departments followed all appropriate city, county and state protocols and procedures in this case,’ an updated statement from the fire department read. ‘The City of Southfield is currently conducting a thorough internal investigation in addition to the Oakland County Medical Control Authority (OCMCA) which will be reporting their findings to the State of Michigan Bureau of EMS, Trauma and Preparedness (BETP).’ 

Fiegler said Beauchamp was zipped into a body bag that was provided by the first responders and was left at home for two-and-a-half hours, until a vehicle from the funeral home arrived to pick her up at around 11.25am. 

Funeral home employees ‘were about to embalm her which is most frightening had she not had her eyes open. They would have begun draining her blood, to be very, very frank about it,’ Fieger told WXYZ on Monday.   

When asked during Tuesday’s conference whether Beauchamp’s disability played a role in the erroneous declaration of death, Fieger said it was very likely. 

‘She’s been disabled since birth. She requires constant care,’ the attorney said. ‘I believe her relatively fragile condition probably contributed to the false belief by the authorities she had deceased. My guess is it certainly played some role.’

Lattimore, Beauchamp’s mother, said she’s ‘devastated’ by the ordeal her daughter went through. 

‘I’m devastated that my daughter is going through what she’s going through,’ she told Click on Detroit Monday morning. ‘My family, her twin brother, her older brother – it’s just, I don’t even have words. I haven’t slept all night. I just don’t know what to do. My heart is so heavy.’ 

Beauchamp’s mother told the news station that when the paramedics were at her home Sunday morning, ‘They said, “Ma’am, she’s gone.” I told them, “Are you absolutely, 100 per cent sure that she’s gone?” They said, “Yes, ma’am, she’s gone.”‘

A few hours later, however, she said that someone from the funeral home called her with news that ‘devastated’ her life. 

Lattimore said the funeral home staffer told her: ‘Ma’am, your daughter is on her way to Sinai Grace Hospital. She is breathing. She is alive.’ 

[The statement] ‘devastated my life,’ Beauchamp’s mother said, adding she responded, ‘What do you mean? What do you mean she’s breathing?’

The funeral home staffer said, ‘Ma’am, she’s in the hospital,’ Lattimore recalled.  

Beauchamp’s mother said Monday that she isn’t sure if her daughter will be able to recover and survive from the ordeal she suffered. She wants answers about what happened, as well. 

The management of the mortuary confirmed the facts of the case in a statement to, saying that staff summoned Detroit Fire Department paramedics, who arrived and transported Beauchamp to a hospital.

‘We couldn’t believe it,’ said Dave Fornell, deputy commissioner of the Detroit Fire Department, who added that her heart rate was 80.   

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *