Press "Enter" to skip to content

Warning young people stop socialising infected man seven venues infectious newcastle COVID-19 

Gladys Berejiklian has pleaded with young people to limit their socialising after a man in his 20s visited three bars, three restaurants and a supermarket while infected with coronavirus. 

The NSW premier said the state hangs on a ‘knife edge’ after 12 new cases on Thursday and revealed millennials are causing a huge percentage of community transmission. 

‘We’re not saying don’t socialise or don’t go out at all but we are saying please limit your behaviour just in the next few weeks,’ she said on Thursday.   

‘If you have the virus and you go out five times a week to different places you could potentially be spreading it to five different locations, and then we have to contract trace everybody.’ 

The man in his 20s visited The Eveleigh Hotel in Redfern after the Jambo restaurant from 8.30pm to 10pm last Friday and on Saturday he visited five additional locations. 

They include the Warren View Hotel in Enmore at 4pm for 20 minutes; Mary’s in Macquarie Place for half an hour from 6.45pm; Cubby’s Kitchen from 7.35pm to 9.30pm and then Burrow Bar in Sydney from 9.35pm to 11.15pm.  

The last location he reported visiting was the Woolworths Metro in Marrickville on Sunday between 7pm and 7.20pm.   

NSW is battling at least 104 active coronavirus cases – with fears of a full-blown second wave like Victoria.  

Two of Thursday’s new cases are under investigation and 10 are linked to known clusters. 

The premier’s warning comes after another infected man in his 20s from Newcastle, two hours north of Sydney, visited five pubs in three days and a Newcastle Jets match on Sunday. 

He is a close contact of a teenager who was identified as a positive case on Wednesday.    

Soccer fans who were at McDonald’s Jones Stadium in Broadmeadow from 7.30pm on Sunday have been told to watch for COVID-19 symptoms and are required to self-isolate if symptoms appear.   

Revellers who attended three of the venues over the same time period are required to get a COVID-19 test and immediately self-isolate for 14 days.

The man visited Bennett Hotel in Hamilton from 5.30pm to 10pm on Friday July 31, before moving to Greenroof Hotel, also in Hamilton, from 10pm to midnight. 

The third venue for immediate self-isolation is the sports bar at Wests New Lambton, with the positive case visiting from 5pm to 7.30pm on Sunday August 2. 

‘The venues have been notified and are undergoing cleaning. Contact tracing is underway,’ a statement read. 

Health authorities are also urging patrons who visited the Queens Wharf Hotel in Newcastle from 9.30pm to 11pm on Saturday August 1 and the Sydney Junction Hotel in Hamilton from midnight to 1.30am on Sunday August 2 to be alert for symptoms. 

‘If any [symptoms] develop get tested and self-isolate immediately,’ the health advice said. 

Dr Kat Taylor, Public Health Controller for Hunter New England Health’s COVID-19 response said they are working to identify any further contacts or venues of the two positive coronavirus cases in the Newcastle area.  

‘It is vital people in the community continue to present for testing if experiencing symptoms to limit the spread of the virus,’ she said.

‘I encourage everyone to follow directions they receive about home isolation and quarantine, and maintain COVID-safe practices of physical distancing, coughing or sneezing into their elbow, and regularly washing their hands.’ 

With the identification of additional coronavirus cases in the Newcastle area, the Hunter New England Local Health District is expecting an increase in the demand for testing. 

Dr Taylor said the district has enhanced their local testing capability to best serve the community. 

‘In addition to expanding our call centre capacity and the number of phone lines available to improve booking wait times, we will extend hours and capacity at a number of local clinics,’ she said. 

‘However, please be patient if visiting a clinic or calling for a booking. We have thousands of testing opportunities throughout the course of today and will see people as quickly as possible.’

The district reported the positive coronavirus case of a male teenager on Wednesday.

Anyone who attended St Pius X High School in Adamstown on Monday August 3 is required to keep an eye out for coronavirus symptoms.   

He caught the number 26 bus to school that day and all commuters who were on the bus are in self-isolation. 

The teenager is also a member of the Newcastle Jets under 15s representative squad. He played a game at Arlington Oval in Dulwich Hill, Sydney’s inner-west, on Saturday August 1. 

His teammates and players in the opposition – the Stanmore Hawks – are considered close contacts and are in two-week isolation. 

NSW Health on Thursday said there are 10 coronavirus patients in intensive care, with four on ventilators. 

Of the 10 cases linked to known clusters, one attended the Apollo Restaurant in Potts Point, one attended the Mounties club in Mount Pritchard and eight are household contacts of known cases.  

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *