NATO mission says attacker was member of Afghan security forces
By Shadi Khan Saif
A member of the U.S. armed forces was killed and another wounded in an apparent insider attack in the Afghan capital Kabul, an official said on Saturday.
Debra Richardson, spokeswoman for the NATO-led Resolute Support Mission, said in a statement the attacker was a member of the Afghan National Defense and Security Forces.
Richardson said reports also indicate the attacker was immediately killed by other Afghan Forces.
“The wounded service member is undergoing medical treatment and is in stable condition […]The incident is under investigation”, she said, without disclosing the names of the victims.
There has been no immediate claim of responsibility for the incident.
Since the end of combat mission in 2014, most of the foreign troops are now only engaged with the training mission, except for the U.S. forces who continue to provide support to the Afghan forces on war fronts.
Last month, Brig. Gen. Jeffrey Smiley, the commander of American forces in southern Afghanistan, got injured when a Taliban infiltrator opened fire on a gathering of Afghan and U.S. officials in Kandahar province. The police and intelligence chiefs for the province were killed in the incident.