VICTIMS injured in a shooting in Manchester were hit by pellets fired from a shotgun in what is being treated as attempted murder, police have said.
Children as young as 12 were among the 12 people injured in the incident at around 2.30am on Sunday morning, as a crowd of several hundred people enjoyed a street party following the Caribbean Carnival in Moss Side.
A “large number” of armed and unarmed officers raced to the street where they found several people suffering from gunshot wounds.
Paramedics took the victims to a nearby hospital where they are being treated for minor and critical injuries.
Police confirmed they have not been made any arrests and are still trying to catch the shooter.
Greater Manchester Police are investigating the shooting as attempted murder but have not yet identified a motive for the “reckless” act.
Chief Superintendent Wasim Chaudhry said officers were investigating whether the attack was targeted after being met with scenes of “confusion”.
“There was a large crowd of several hundred people still celebrating following the carnival event and a number of these people had received injuries,” he told a press conference.
“Ten people were highlighted as having been injured and they were taken to hospital, their ages range from late childhood through to in their 50s.
“The injuries were consistent with pellet injuries, predominantly around the injured parties’ legs, which have required hospital treatment…our working premise is that it was a shotgun involved in the incident.”
Footage reportedly showing the aftermath of the incident has been posted on social media.
The video appears to show a panicked group of people being helped by police.
As a voice cries out, shouts of “move” can be heard, while another voice asks “can you hear me”.
A number of people were in the area following the Caribbean Carnival, which had finished some hours before, the force added.
Residents said a street party was held there annually following the carnival and music was often played into the early hours of the morning.
Youth worker Kemoy Walker said he had been on the main stage at the carnival, which finished at about 8pm, on Saturday and had been at another street party on Claremont Road until about 11.30pm.
He said: “The party I was at was beautiful. When I left there was lovely dancing. That’s Moss Side, that’s the culture. I’m in shock this morning.”
Mr Walker added he believed the carnival would go ahead as planned on Sunday.
“We need to get the message across to young people to make sure they are not getting involved in negativity,” he said.
He said: “Moss Side has come such a long way and there are great things happening in our community now. Hearing this, I just think why is this happening.”
“Guns have no place on our streets”
Chief Superintendent Wasim Chaudhry
Detective Superintendent Debbie Dooley said: “We currently have a number of people in hospital all being treated for different injuries, but thankfully most do not appear life-threatening at this time.
“Officers are trying to establish exactly where this incident took place and who is responsible for such a dangerous attack.
“The area is being searched and examined while we are also trying to speak to as many people as possible and are reviewing CCTV to get all the facts.
Police confirm nine people, including two children, were taken to hospital with pellet-type wounds that are not believed to be serious.
A tenth person – a man – is in a stable but serious condition with injuries to his legs.
Chief Superintendent Wasim Chaudhry, from GMP’s City of Manchester division, said: “Thankfully the injuries suffered do not appear to be as serious as first believed and hopefully people will begin to leave hospital over the course of the day following treatment.
“That being said, there may be people who didn’t seek treatment last night and I would urge these people to get immediate medical attention if that is the case.
“This was a reckless act that could have had devastating consequences with families and friends losing loved ones.”
He added: “Today the community is likely to feel concerned and that’s completely understandable.
“Guns have no place on our streets and we want to assure you we are doing everything we can to find the person or people responsible.”
“The Caribbean Carnival had been taking place earlier that day but had finished several hours prior to this incident occurring, which is why there were still a lot of people in the area.
“Those living or visiting the area will understandably be concerned by this incident and we will have extra officers patrolling the area through the morning and into the coming days.
“If you have any concerns please approach them and they will try and help in any way they can.”
No arrests have been made in connection with the shooting.