Press "Enter" to skip to content

Three Sydney schools shut down over possible COVID-19 infections

Three Sydney schools will close on Wednesday due to possible COVID-19 infections – while an alert has been issued for a busy shopping centre and a city gym after confirmed coronavirus cases.   

On Tuesday night, the New South Wales Education Department revealed Riverstone High School, Wyndham College and Schofields Public School will all undergo cleaning while coronavirus tests for the students concerned are processed. 

An urgent alert has also been issued to shoppers who visited the Broadway Shopping Centre in the city’s CBD on Saturday after an infected customer entered an Apple and a Kmart store between 3.30pm and 5.00pm.

Anyone who visited the stores during this time was told to be on high alert for symptoms. 

NSW Health has also issued an alert for the City Tattersalls Fitness Centre on Pitt Street in the Sydney CBD after two attendees – a gym member and a contractor – tested positive to COVID-19.

Those who attended the venue on August 19, 21 or 23 should watch for symptoms of the infection.

Anyone who was at a nearby office block at 300 George Street on August 19, 20, 21 or 24 should also be alert for symptoms because one of the Tattersalls cases worked there while infectious. 

NSW Police have worked through the night to relocate 366 people quarantined in a Sydney hotel to ‘more suitable’ accommodation after it was found not to be complying with COVID-19 health and safety standards.

An audit of The Travelodge Hotel in Surry Hills in the city’s east on Tuesday uncovered the deficiencies, with police making the decision to relocate the returned travellers to more suitable accommodation.

The relocation operation started on Tuesday afternoon and was expected to take about 12 hours.  

Meanwhile, NSW Premier Gladys Berejiklian has backed the state’s hotel quarantine system despite a coronavirus-positive security guard being fined twice for failing to isolate while waiting for his test results.

Ms Berejiklian says the process is monitored by police daily and audited regularly, but noted no system is foolproof.

The 22-year-old male security guard was fined $2,000 for visiting Westfield Burwood after his test on Thursday and Burwood’s Service NSW building on Friday afternoon.

The Campsie man was on Saturday confirmed as the second Marriott hotel security guard to catch the virus, and was fined on Sunday.

Elsewhere, the NSW government is considering easing travel restrictions for residents on the NSW-Victoria border.

Deputy Premier John Barilaro says the coalition government will over the next 10 days look at extending the border zone from 2.5km to 50km.

Mr Barilaro also flagged further changes including increasing the distance agricultural workers can travel to a 100km radius on either side of the border.

NSW on Tuesday recorded three new COVID-19 cases, including one returned traveller in hotel quarantine and two close contacts of previously known cases.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *