AS many as 30 teenagers may have contracted coronavirus after a holiday to the Greek island of Zante, health officials said.
At least 11 of a group of 18 and 19-year-olds in Plymouth have tested positive for Covid-19 after their return from the holiday hotspot last week.
⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates
Greece is currently on the UK’s ‘safe’ list of nations where quarantine free travel is still allowed.
It’s feared many of the teenagers may have gone out partying at the weekend.
Plymouth council’s leader has been described the batch of positive tests as a “wake up call’.
The city’s public health director Ruth Harrell said her team was working to track down the teenagers and those contacted so far had been “really helpful and cooperative”.
“We know that some of these young people had no symptoms, and so carried on as normal, including a night out in Plymouth’s bars and restaurants, until they became aware of the risk,” she said.
“While young people might have fairly mild symptoms, and sometimes none that you would notice, our big concern is that we know it can be very serious for people who have existing health problems or are older.”
She said that “while we are still below the point of triggering a lockdown, this incident just goes to show how easily life can change”.
“We all need to remain vigilant, whatever age we are, and take proper precautions.”
Ms Harrell said the council had been in touch with bars and restaurants to “remind them of their frontline role in stopping the spread of this virus”.
“But it also needs everyone to help too,” she added.
“If you think you’ve been in contact with someone who has tested positive, you need to self-isolate. “If you get any symptoms, get tested as well as isolate.
Leader of Plymouth City Council Tudor Evans said: “This is our wake up call.”
While Greece still has lower cases of Covid-19 compared to other holiday hotspots, infections have risen since July 1 when international tourists were welcomed back.
Areas like Laganas in Zante have been actively encouraging holidaymakers to return.
Tui added extra flights to Zante after scrapping flights to the Balearic Islands and Canary Islands.
But there have been warnings that large crowds and people ignoring face masks at some of the popular hotspots.