The Tesco ‘explosion’ has terrified people, with the big supermarket being evacuated, causing widespread panic.
AN EXPLOSION was reported at a Tesco supermarket in Cambridge today, prompting the store to be evacuated.
It’s believed that an air conditioning unit in the Tesco store in Newmarket exploded and collapsed. There were no injuries reported among the personnel or the general public. The evacuation was finished soon before 11 a.m., according to Debbie Luxon and Dan Haygarth of Cambridgeshire Live.
Parts of the parking lot were sealed off, and the supermarket had previously been closed to the public.
Witnesses reported hearing a loud blast followed by the smell of chemical fumes.
The East of England Ambulance Service acknowledged that they were not called despite the event.
The incident is thought to have occurred in the store’s seventh aisle.
The smoke was later determined to be carbon dioxide rather than poisonous.
Tescos has confirmed that engineers were dispatched to the area and are working to repair the device.
Staff had placed barriers in the parking lot, according to the chain.
Police were also dispatched to the location, but they quickly left.
Tesco verified the store reopened at 1 p.m. in a statement.
They determined that the leak was caused by a refrigeration system.
“Our Cambridge Newmarket Road store is open as usual after a brief shutdown this morning due to a refrigeration system leak,” a representative stated.
“As a precaution, the store was evacuated, and engineers are currently working to repair the broken unit.”
Last month, a larger explosion was also recorded in south London.
The explosion happened in Elephant and Castle after three business units in the railway arches blew up.
A total of 100 firefighters were dispatched to the railway arches where the explosion occurred.
“We opened the window for a moment because you could hear people shouting, and we smelt something very, very strong,” Sara Scarpa, 25, who lives in the adjoining Hurlock Heights apartment building, said.
“As the smoke cleared, we heard an explosion, and it happened all over again.”
“We observed smoke billowing out of the smoke pillar, which started covering the apartment blocks as well, and we kept hearing periodic bangs,” another person stated.