The shopping complex was evacuated due to a strange ‘gas leak,’ and shoppers were urged to stay away.

0

The shopping complex was evacuated due to a strange ‘gas leak,’ and shoppers were urged to stay away.

A GAS LEAK has forced Victoria Centre shoppers to flee their homes.

Residents in Nottingham have been advised to avoid Victoria Centre after it was evacuated due to a suspected “gas leak.”

The public has been advised to “avoid the area” by Nottingham Fire and Rescue. This morning, four engines cleared the shopping center. The spill could have an impact on the surrounding environment.

The Nottinghamshire Fire and Rescue Service has issued the following statement: “Due to a suspected gas leak, we have four appliances on the scene at Victoria Centre in Nottingham.

“The building is being evacuated, and we suggest that people avoid the area.”

“I was roaming around Victoria Centre passing time [before]my sister arrives,” one shopper wrote on Twitter. “But suddenly the alarms went off and we got told to evacuate, and now there’s fire engines here.”

“Not sure why but fire crews are on scene and we have been relocated away from the glass frontage,” remarked user @emma1883.

“Gas could be smelt at the north car park entrance,” Simon Dermody stated.

Confetti Institute of Creative Technologies, which is holding an open house on nearby Convent Street, said: “Please allow adequate time for travel if you are attending our college-level open day.

“Due to the ongoing incident on Upper Parliament Street, traffic on the roads around Confetti is currently very heavy.”

“If you’re heading into the city centre today for our performances, please allow additional time for your journey,” Nottingham Playhouse says.

A fire service cordon has been erected around the shopping centre’s Upper Parliament Street junction entrance to prevent visitors from reaching the scene of the incident, which was reported soon after noon and has caused traffic congestion in the city centre.

Share.

Comments are closed.