A man has been hit with a $1,000 fine after he was caught hosting a massive house party but told police he was not worried because coronavirus was ‘just a flu’.
New South Wales Police issued a total of 16 penalty infringement notices to people over the weekend who were caught breaching COVID-19 Public Health Orders.
Officers were called to a house party at Mullumbimby Creek on the northern NSW coast about 2.45am on Saturday.
When they arrived at the Melaleuca Drive property police found a large number of people inside and outside the house, with social distancing being ignored.
‘The 53-year-old male resident told police he was aware there were too many attendees but wasn’t worried because he believes Coronavirus is just a flu,’ NSW Police said.
The man was slapped with the fine and the group was forced to disperse.
Police issued nine people with $9,000 in fines following indoor gatherings at East Jindabyne and Maroubra that were found breaching the 20-person rule.
On Friday officers were patrolling Hyde Park in Sydney’s CBD while monitoring a group who gathered for an ‘unauthorised public assembly’.
The group exceeded 20 people at 11am and were told to move-on before formal directions were issued to each person.
‘After the spokesman refused to comply with directions and attempted to incite the rest of the group, he was arrested,’ NSW Police said.
‘He then refused to provide his details and was subsequently taken to Day Street Police Station.’
The 47-year-old spokesperson was identified and issued a $1,000 fine.
Another unauthorised public assembly was found at Camperdown in Sydney’s inner-west about 11.30am Friday, with 40 people in attendance.
Police issued a formal direction under the Public Health Act but two men, aged 34 and 38, failed to comply and were each hit with a fine.
A woman at a Liverpool hotel in the city’s west was visited by police on Friday just after 12pm, who found she provided ‘false compassionate reasons’ on her permit to enter the state.
The woman was fined and told she had to return back to Victoria immediately as her permit was invalid.
A licensed venue in Crescent Head was found to be full at 7.30pm on Friday, with the business failing to adhere to its COVID-safe plan.
‘While conducting the walk-through, the officers noted that the premises was full, but only nine names were recorded on the register,’ NSW Police said.
‘Further, tables and chairs had not been removed to ensure physical distancing and it was not being observed.’
A 50-year-old male licensee was issued with a $1000 fine.
Officers stopped a 24-year-old woman as she was driving in Springdale on Saturday morning and discovered she was disqualified from driving and was in breach of isolation requirements.
She had returned from Victoria on July 20 and was told to self-isolate for 14 days but was instead hit with a $1,000 fine.
NSW recorded 13 new COVID-19 cases in the 24 hours to 8pm on Sunday – four of which were returned travellers from overseas or Victoria and one with no known source.
Three of the new cases are in returned travellers in mandatory hotel quarantine, another is a recent arrival from Victoria, while eight are cases linked to known outbreaks.
Just one of the new cases cannot be linked to a known source and is one of seven cases under investigation, NSW Health’s Dr Jeremy McAnulty revealed on Monday.
There are seven cases in New South Wales which are being actively investigated because NSW Health cannot establish a clear link to a previously known case.
Another four cases were announced from the weekend – a family of four, including a baby, from Wagga Wagga in the Riverina region that recently returned home from Melbourne and went into self-isolation.