The Queen has been seen for the first time since arriving at Balmoral Estate at Glen Muick on Tuesday.
Her Majesty, 94, who cut a casual figure in a red top, gilet and tartan skirt, appeared to be joined by Sophie Wessex, Edward and their children, Lady Windsor, 16, and James, Viscount Severn, 12. as she headed out for a brisk walk at the weekend.
It is understood that the Queen did not attend church in Scotland on Sunday in order to stop well-wishers gathering.
The monarch and Prince Philip, 99, who have been isolating at Windsor Castle, travelled by car last week to RAF Northolt, in west London, where they boarded a private jet to Balmoral.
After a short flight, the royals touched down at Aberdeen airport where they were met by a driver and whisked off to Balmoral, roughly an hour away.
The couple landed in overcast weather, with the Queen donning a rain mac over her smart powder blue suit as her husband followed her down the stairs of the plane in his own practical waterproof coat.
They were followed by royal aides carrying luggage and a pair of dorgis, the Queen’s beloved dogs which are a cross between a dachshund and a Welsh corgi.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh will remain at the 50,000-acre estate until early October and will be joined by family members throughout their stay.
It will be a welcome change of scenery for the couple, who have not left the grounds of Windsor Castle since March.
It is understood staff quarantined for two weeks in order to minimise the risk of the Queen or Prince Philip, who are both in their 90s, being exposed to Covid-19.
Reports suggest the hand-picked team of royal aides who will join the couple include Vice-Admiral Tony Johnstone-Burt, master of the household; Sir Edward Young, the Queen’s private secretary, and Paul Whybrew and William Henderson, her pages.
Major Nana Kofi Twumasi-Ankrah, her equerry; Terry Pendry, her head groom; Angela Kelly, the Queen’s personal assistant and her senior dresser; Jackie Newbold, Kelly’s PA; and three assistant dressers will also join, according to The Sunday Times.
It is thought staff will minimise their contact with people outside the royal household in order to create a ‘Balmoral bubble’ designed to keep the Queen and Prince Philip safe.
Measures will also be taken if any members of the royal family come to visit. Typically the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh are joined by their children and grandchildren, as well as close friends, throughout the summer holiday.
However this year any visitors, who typically include the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge, Prince Charles and the Duchess of Cornwall and Prince Edward and the Countess of Wessex, will likely maintain social distancing while on site.
Family members will not stay in the castle with the Queen and Duke of Edinburgh as they have done in previous years and will instead be housed in other properties in the grounds of the estate.
They will be able to meet her for outside activities instead including walks, horse riding and picnics.
Previous reports suggest Balmoral staff have been banned from social activity and the annual Ghillies Ball has also been cancelled due to coronavirus.
An insider told the Mail on Sunday ‘stir-crazy’ aides are staying in the New Block, a dull granite building with a dozen bedrooms outside near the castle.
The insider said: ‘Without all the normal facilities which make a stay pleasant for staff, everyone’s saying it’s like being in Colditz, the prisoner of war camp.