The goalkeeper for Bristol Rovers displays a gruesome head gash from a tackle that did not result in a red card.


Bristol Rovers goalkeeper shows off a nasty head gash from a tackle that went unpunished.

WARNING: GRAPHIC CONTENT: During Tuesday’s League Two match between Salford City and Bristol Rovers, goalkeeper James Belshaw received a gruesome cut to his scalp while making a brave save.

Bristol Rovers goalkeeper James Belshaw has shown off a nasty head gash he received from a tackle that did not result in a red card during his team’s 0-0 draw with Salford City.

After remaining down with a head injury following a collision in the 56th minute, the 31-year-old received six minutes of treatment from medical personnel.

Belshaw was able to continue after receiving treatment, but he was motionless as his team conceded a 95th-minute equalizer to draw the match 1-1.

The result puts Joey Barton’s side in 14th place in League Two after 18 games, just six points off the play-off places.

After the game, Belshaw posted a photo of the cut on the top of his head on his Instagram story, captioning it “Not ideal.”

The former Harrogate Town goalkeeper was kicked in the head while challenging an opponent.

The linesman’s flag was raised late to indicate that the Salford forward was offside, but the referee did nothing other than award a free kick for offside and no cards were shown.

Matthew Willock and Ashley Hunter were both shown straight red cards in the 41st and 89th minutes, respectively, reducing Salford to nine men during the match.

In the comments section below, tell us about the worst tackle that didn’t result in a red card.

Referee Ben Toner had to add 11 minutes to the game due to Belshaw’s injury and a medical emergency in the away end at the Peninsula Stadium.

This allowed Brandon Asante-Thomas to equalize in the fifth minute of stoppage time, canceling out Sam Nicholson’s 14th-minute opener.

There was still time for drama, as the visitors thought they had retaken the lead with a header in the 10th extra minute, only to be denied by a linesman’s flag.

Belshaw, who finished the game with a bandage around his head, will be hoping to be fit for Saturday’s match against league leaders Forest Green.


Comments are closed.