Press "Enter" to skip to content

Tencent says U.S. executive order only affects WeChat,…

SHANGHAI/HONG KONG, Aug 12 – Tencent’s chief financial officer said on Wednesday that the firm understood that the U.S. executive order was focused on its WeChat app in the United States and not on its other businesses in the country.

The company is in the process of seeking further clarification from relevant parties on the executive order from the Trump administration, John Lo said during an analyst call following the firm’s second-quarter results.

He added that the firm’s WeChat app that is being targeted in the U.S. was different from Weixin, the Chinese name its app is known by in China.

The United States said last week it would ban WeChat-related transactions in the country in September.

(Reporting by Brenda Goh in Shanghai and Pei Li in Hong Kong; editing by Jason Neely)

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *