Press "Enter" to skip to content

Teen, 17, feared drowned in quarry after heatwave swim as heartbroken family say he was the ‘life and soul’

A TEENAGE boy feared to have drowned after swimming in a quarry during the heatwave was today described as “life and soul” of his heartbroken family.

Haider Ali, 17, got into difficulty in Shavers End Quarry, near Stourport-on-Severn, Worcs, on Wednesday.

The college student and his pals were cooling off in the sweltering 34C heat yesterday when the tragedy happened.

Speaking today at the quarry, his grief-stricken family said: “Haider was the life and soul of the family.

“He was a loving, caring son, brother, nephew and grandson. He always had a smile on his face and every single person will remember the smile that lit up the room.

“He was a very loving soul.”

Police said this afternoon they had found a body in the water but that formal identification has not yet taken place.

Haider, of Bordesley Green, Birmingham, was also described as a popular teenager with a selfless nature.

Naveed Sadiq, a family friend, said: “He was very fun-loving and he would give you the last Rolo. That was the kind of man he was.

“He was just so pleasant and had a lovely character.”

Police had continued their search at the quarry into Wednesday afternoon.

Divers were seen carrying out a specialist operation to find the teenager’s body.

A spokeswoman for West Mercia Police said: “At 4.45pm yesterday afternoon police were informed a 17-year-old boy had gone into the water at Shavers End Quarry in Dunley, near Stourport.

“Emergency services attended and carried out a search of the lake.

“A cordon is currently in place to allow emergency services to deal with the incident.”

This afternoon, Detective Inspector Justin Taylor said: “It’s with a heavy heart that we can confirm that a body has been found in our searches at the quarry.

“Whilst formal identification has not yet taken place we have updated the family and the coroner has been informed.”

The water – dubbed the blue lagoon – is a tragic blackspot with deaths reported there each summer.

An inquest this year heard Jayden Clarke, 18, managed to reach the lagoon through an unlocked gate in July 2018.

He hit his head on rocks after struggling in the water, the coroner heard.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *