Press "Enter" to skip to content

Students tour Queensland Parliament just 24 hours before their school was shut down due to COVID-19

Students from a school plunged into lockdown by a coronavirus scare went on a trip to Queensland’s state parliament. 

A worker at the YMCA Chatswood Hills Outside Hours School Care tested positive for coronavirus on Wednesday.  

About 90 students from Chatswood Hills State School, where the care facility is run, toured Queensland Parliament on the same day. 

The school was forced to lock down on Thursday after the worker’s test results came back positive.  

There is a chance, however remote, that students from that school have come into contact with the women, Speaker Curtis Pitt says.

Cleaners have since swept the building and a deep clean took place in any area the students may have visited included the bathrooms. 

Parliamentary staff who had direct contact with the tour have been told to take leave, not attend the precinct and get tested for COVID-19.

‘We have not received any information from Queensland Health that any student on the tour has tested positive,’ the Speaker said.

‘It is only a very remote possibility that any transmission could have taken place.’  

‘However the parliamentary service have taken these steps to ensure the safety of people who work on the precinct and people who visit it.’ 

This comes after all students and staff at a school where a COVID-infected teenager worked after lying her way into Queensland were been forced into mandatory quarantine. 

Olivia Winnie Muranga arrived in Queensland after travelling to Melbourne last week and returned straight to work at Parklands Christian College in Park Ridge, south of Brisbane, before developing coronavirus symptoms.

The 19-year-old worked for two days at the school, potentially exposing hundreds of staff and students to the deadly respiratory infection after Queensland had all but stamped out community transmission.

Ms Muranga, along with her friend Diana Lasu, reportedly made false declarations on their border paperwork to enter Queensland.

On Wednesday night they were fined $4,000 each – along with a travel buddy still waiting on her results – after living the high life around Brisbane for eight days. 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *