JUBA, Nov. 3 (Xinhua) — The South Sudanese government said on Saturday it is ready to probe tribal clashes in Jonglei state where 15 people have died and 20 others have sustained injuries.
Taban Deng Gai, South Sudan’s First Vice President, said the country’s top leadership has condemned the latest violence that has affected the people of Duk Payuel and Jalle respectively.
“I condemn in the strongest terms the attacks which occurred on Oct. 30 and 31 when the affected people were preparing to celebrate the signed peace agreement on Wednesday,” Gai said in a statement issued in Juba.
He said the government is committed to investigate the grievous incident and called on the state’s governors to restore calm between the two warring communities.
“We urge local authorities to work together with the disciplined forces to bring these perpetrators to book,” said Gai.
Earlier this week a group of armed Murle men attacked Duk Payuel and Bor North County, killed 15 people and wounded 20 others but the incident was refuted by the Murle authorities on Friday.
“I would like to take this opportunity to express government commitment to investigate this grievous incidence and called upon the state’s governors to restore the peace by ensuring no retaliation acts occur,” said Gai.
The Jonglei region bordering Ethiopia to the east has long been plagued by ethnic fighting over cattle grazing grounds and access to water.
The region is prone to deadly cattle rustling between the Nuer, Murle and Dinka tribes who often carry out retaliatory attacks against each other.