South Australia will close its borders to anyone coming from Victoria as the state tightens coronavirus measures amid ongoing concerns with the surge in cases in Melbourne.
Premier Steven Marshall said the hard border closure with Victoria will come into effect on July 28 at midnight and will also prevent any SA citizens returning home.
Three new cases of coronavirus were recorded in SA over the past two days and 95 per cent of cases in the state coming from Victoria.
The state’s border will also remain closed to NSW and the ACT due to the growing number of community transmission cases from coronavirus clusters.
Previously, only essential travellers and citizens from Victoria were allowed entry into SA but that exemption has also been removed.
‘The entire nation is on high alert,’ Mr Marshall said on Friday.
‘NSW are doing a huge amount of work to get in top of these clusters.’
‘We are concerned that there has been further seeding of these clusters and the infections.’
SA will also impose a 50-person cap on family gatherings and a 100-person cap for weddings and funerals.
One of SA’s recent COVID-19 cases is a man in his 40s, who is a wharf worker that had gone to Melbourne as an essential traveller.
His close contacts have also been tested for the virus with their results still to be returned.
But Chief Public Health Officer Nicola Spurrier says the man’s wife and a friend work in two of Adelaide’s hospitals so about 10 hospital staff have been sent home as a precautionary measure.
The man’s case took the state’s total COVID-19 infections to 447 and 4 people have died since the outbreak began.
Victoria reported 300 new cases on Friday as well as six deaths and NSW seven new infections.