Press "Enter" to skip to content

Six protesters are arrested at illegal Black Lives Matter protest in Sydney 

Six protesters have been arrested at the Black Lives Matter rally in Sydney.

Among those arrested at Tuesday morning’s illegal rally were event organiser Paddy Gibson.

He was filmed being forcibly removed from The Domain by officers and dragged into a police car.

‘Leave now, don’t come near me, don’t come near me,’ Mr Gibson is heard yelling in footage shot by Nine News.

‘Tell the people to cancel the rally, leave the Domain, don’t come near me.’

He was detained and fined before he was later seen heading into nearby NSW state parliament.

Three men, aged 40, 37 and 22, and two women aged 50 and 23, were arrested at the Domain 

Each were issued with $1000 fines for breaching public health orders, before being issued move-on directions.

A third woman, aged 25, was arrested and issued a Criminal Infringement Notice for offensive language.

The protest was due to start at midday Tuesday, despite being declared illegal by the NSW Supreme Court, which later dismissed an appeal by Mr Gibson.

Up to 5,000 protesters had registered on Facebook to attend the rally but was shut down by police before shortly before it was due to start. 

The NSW Supreme Court ruled on Sunday it was too risky for the protest to go ahead due to a fresh outbreak of coronavirus cases across Sydney, with 14 new infections detected on Tuesday. 

‘The NSW Police Force is reminding the community that a number of ministerial directions remain in place covering returned overseas travellers, diagnosed persons, mass gatherings and movement, spitting and coughing, residential aged care facilities, border control measures and compliance requirements for NSW businesses, funerals, places of worship, weddings and corporate events,’ a police statement released on Tuesday states.

Activist Nessa Turnbull-Roberts was among the six protesters arrested by police.

‘I have been released and it is all on footage me complying with Covid-19 and police abusing their powers once again.The last time I was handled by police with hands put behind my back was the night they removed me. The police did not comply with 1.5 metre Covid-19 restrictions,’ she later tweeted.

‘The police are traumatic. The other people arrested have also been released. Thank you to mob and family for keeping us safe and ensuring our whereabouts. There is no justice until collective justice is served on the lives murdered by the state. Enough is enough.’ 

A small group of protesters who remained in The Domain were ordered by the heavy presence of police officers to leave the area or risk being arrested.

A number of $1000 fines were also issued by police. 

The protest was organised for the family of Aboriginal man David Dungay Junior, who died in Long Bay Jail in December 2015.

Mr Dungay’s family were among the attendees at Tuesday’s rally.

‘We’re still going to rally and we´re going to rally until we get charges. I will rest after that,’ his mother Leetona Dungay said on Monday.

‘I’m going to walk strong and tall until the day I get justice.’

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *