Residents are evacuated after a dangerous bolt of lightning ignites a house in the United Kingdom.


Residents were evacuated after a dangerous bolt set fire to a house in the United Kingdom.

A LIGHTNING STRIKE wreaked havoc in Manchester on Friday, igniting a house and forcing the closure of a school.

The Greater Manchester area was hit by snow and storms on Thursday and Friday as a result of the unsettled weather that has been sweeping the UK.

Residents in Ashton-under-Lyne reported hearing an “explosion” after a lightning strike on Friday morning.

Emergency services rushed to Store Street after a fire broke out in a terraced house, according to local reports.

Despite the snow, some residents were forced to leave their homes.

Due to the incident, a nearby preschool had to close.

At the time, a large bang was heard, which one neighbor described as “sounding like an explosion.”

Another neighbor described hearing a noise that “sounded like a bomb went off.”

The fire is “believed to have been caused by a lightning strike,” according to the Manchester Evening News, with investigations ongoing.

A cordon had been erected, according to the outlet, with at least five fire engines on the scene.

The fire, according to MEN, caused no injuries.

Residents who were evacuated “as a safety precaution” were allowed to return to their homes as of publication.

However, according to reports, some homes on Store Street were left without power.

“At approximately 7am on Friday, January 7th, firefighters were called to reports of a fire at a terraced property on Store Street, in Ashton-under-Lyne,” a spokesperson for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) said in a statement.

“Fire engines from Ashton, Oldham, Stalybridge, and Chadderton, as well as an aerial appliance from Manchester Central station, arrived on the scene quickly.”

“A fire broke out on the roof of an end terraced house.

“As a precaution, a number of houses on the street have been evacuated.”

“Using hose reel jets, an aerial ladder, and other specialist equipment, firefighters wearing breathing apparatus extinguished the fire.”

“Firefighters were called to a fire involving the second floor of an end-terrace property,” Station Manager Ken Booth, the officer in charge at the scene, told MEN.

“Firefighters worked to keep the fire from spreading to the terrace next door.

The fire has been put out.

“Crews are still clearing debris and ensuring the scene is secure.

“Firefighters expect to spend several hours on the scene.”

Greater Manchester was issued a “severe weather” warning on Thursday.

“Brinkwire News in Condensed Form.”


Comments are closed.