Queensland has banned more travellers from New South Wales’ coronavirus hotspots as Sydney’s south-west continues to battle an outbreak.
Premier Annastacia Palaszczuk on Thursday afternoon announced the Queensland borders would be shut to the City of Fairfield from 1am on Monday.
‘In response to further outbreaks – and on the advice of Queensland’s Chief Health Officer – the city of Fairfield NSW has been added to our list of COVID hotspots,’ Ms Palaszczuk said.
‘The directive takes effect from 1am, Monday, July 27.’
There are more than 198,817 residents in the City of Fairfield, according to the 2016 Census. The local government area comprises of 27 suburbs.
Queensland had already barred visitors from Campbelltown and Liverpool, both in south-west Sydney, as well as the whole state of Victoria.
Ms Palaszczuk said anyone who has been in Fairfield over the past 14 days will be required to enter hotel quarantine for two weeks at their own expense.
Queensland could declare a complete ban on travel from New South Wales if cases keep climbing, sources told The Gold Coast Bulletin.
The police source said more Sydney hotspots would inevitably be declared by authorities in Queensland.
‘There is no way more hot spots are not going to be declared, and all of Sydney would definitely be a consideration given what’s happening down there,’ a police source said.
‘If the situation continues to deteriorate, I honestly don’t see how we wouldn’t look at closing the border entirely.’
New South Wales recorded another 19 coronavirus cases on Thursday – with most of the new cases linked to known Sydney clusters at the Crossroads Hotel and the Thai Rock restaurant.
There were nine new cases linked to the Thai Rock cluster – with one being a child who attended Tomaree Public School.
Another case associated with the Thai Rock cluster is a toddler who attends Goodstart Early Learning Anna Bay.
Both schools were closed on Friday while contact tracing and cleaning is underway.
There were three new cases linked with the Crossroads Hotel cluster.
Three new cases are also returned travellers in hotel quarantine. One new case was a south-western Sydney resident who acquired their infection in Victoria and has been self-isolating since arriving in NSW.