Press "Enter" to skip to content

Pub owner ‘is sent death threats’ after banning under 25s following covid spike among 17 to 29-year-olds

A PUB OWNER has been sent “death threats” after she banned under-25s following a coronavirus spike.

The owner of the North Yorkshire pub, Maggie Holmes, introduced the policy after several young people in the village of Sherburn-in-Elmet tested positive for Covid.

⚠️ Read our coronavirus live blog for the latest news & updates

Speaking to the Independent, Ms Holmes said she has since recieved angry and abusive phone calls and messages.

Despite the awful abuse, she insisted that she would stand by the decision. 

“The level of abuse has been horrendous when all I want to do is keep people safe,” Ms Holmes said. 

She added: “These are people who have never visited my premises. I’m just being trolled. I’ve spent the day in tears.”

In a now-deleted post, the pub wrote on Facebook: “In light of recent events and an escalation in cases we are now not serving anyone in the age bracket 18-25.

“We have thought about this very carefully, we will continue to try and ensure our community, customers and staff are all kept safe in these difficult times.

“Before anyone tries to say we are wrong, think of the implications for us as a business.

“This is not where we want to be. We would rather have a safe environment than a place which is teetering on the risk of closure.

“Please see that we are acting for everyone’s best intentions at this time.

“We have some of the most amazing well mannered, well behaved customers in that age bracket, but we simply cannot take the risk.

“As soon as we feel safe to do so we will ensure everyone knows. Thank you for understanding.”

Ms Holmes added that her new policy was created in a bid to defend her business, her staff and her customers from exposure to the local spike.

She said: “I’ve taken the decision because my demographic is not primarily that age bracket and I just want to ensure that I’m not closed again like I had to do for four months

“I have no dispute that somebody of any age can come in and bring it into the pub, but I’m just trying to mitigate the risk and that’s why I’ve taken the decision and I’m absolutely shocked at the level of abuse that received when I know that a pub in the next village was already implementing this from July.”

It comes after a new law means people must give test and trace details to pubs and restaurants.

Boris Johnson made the announcement on Wednesday as he outlined new rules coming into force in England to stop a feared spike in cases around the country.

Businesses have not had to enforce this previously, but now punters will have to give their details out to help prevent the spread – otherwise they will be breaking the law.

The information will be kept for 21 days in case the customer needs to be told to self-isolate.

In his first No10 press conference since July the PM said: “I also want to see, and the public wants to see, stronger enforcement of the rules already in place.

“In future premises and venues where people meet socially will be legally required to request the contact details of every party.

“Record and retain these details for 21 days and provide them to NHS test and trace when required.

“We will support local authorities to make further and faster use of their power.

“Fines will be levied against hospitality venues that fail to ensure their premises remain covid secure.”

He warned people in England face new £100 fines if they meet in groups of more than six indoors or out.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *