Princess Diana’s alleged “false eye witness” claimed to have seen her after the Paris car tragedy.
According to a former BBC journalist, the reporting of Princess Diana’s death was hampered by a “false eye witness” who claimed to have seen the princess alive after her car accident.
The Princess of Wales died tomorrow, 24 years ago, at the age of 36, from injuries incurred in an automobile accident. Diana was being brought home from a Paris restaurant with boyfriend Dodi Fayed around half-past midnight when their driver lost control of the vehicle and crashed in the Pont de l’Alma tunnel. Mr Fayed and the Mercedes Benz driver, Henri Paul, died at the scene, but the princess’ bodyguard, Trevor Rees-Jones, was seriously injured but survived the accident.
Her sons, Prince Wiliam and Prince Harry, who were just 15 and 12 at the time of the accident, commissioned and inaugurated the Princess of Wales statue in Kensington Palace Gardens last month in her honor.
To commemorate the anniversary, well-wishers will be permitted to visit the statue tomorrow, despite the fact that it is normally only open to the public from Wednesday to Sunday owing to the pandemic.
Diana’s death sparked an extraordinary outpouring of grief in the United Kingdom and around the world.
Thousands of flowers were strewn at her Kensington Palace home as a token of respect, and her burial was reportedly observed by an estimated 2.5 billion people, according to some accounts.
Former BBC journalist Kevin Connolly, who was one of the first reporters on the scene, alleged that the “messy” process of determining the Princess’ condition was hampered further by a “false eyewitness” statement.
“In Paris, the enormity of what had transpired is just very slowly being revealed,” Mr Connolly told this website.
“There is a fictitious eyewitness who adds to the confusion.
“I believe some people called the BBC and other channels following the accident, claiming to have seen Diana.
“Throughout the night, this false and nasty phone call obviously helps to the narrative that it will not be as terrible as it could have been.”
The gravity of the situation was also understated by French authorities, according to Mr Connolly.
“The initial information from our police and hospital sources is that yes, it’s the Princess of Wales, and yes, she’s been injured,” he said.
“It makes no sense that she is up at this hour.”Brinkwire Summary News”.