Police in England have arrested four people after Rashford, Saka, and Sancho racially abused each other.

0

Police in England have arrested four people after Rashford, Saka, and Sancho racially abused each other.

Four people have been arrested after the England trio was subjected to vile racial harassment on social media.

After Marcus Rashford, Bukayo Saka, and Jadon Sancho were racially assaulted following the Euro 2020 final loss on Sunday, police announced that a hate crime investigation is underway. The investigative team also acknowledged that they are currently collaborating with Twitter, Facebook, and Instagram to collect data for the probe. The three England players missed penalties in the sad final defeat and were subjected to racial abuse on social media, causing widespread outrage.

“Following England’s defeat against Italy on Sunday, a torrent of racist comments targeting at some of the team’s black players appeared on sites such as Facebook, Instagram, and Twitter,” the UK Football Policing Unit said.

“The UKFPU is conducting a hate crime investigation, with a dedicated team of investigators sifting through a significant number of reports from throughout the country.

“So far, scores of data applications have been sent to social media corporations, and local police forces have arrested four people.”

“The racial abuse thrown at our own players following Sunday night’s game is extremely abhorrent and has quite rightly shocked and disgusted people across the country,” said Chief Constable Mark Roberts, the National Police Chiefs’ Council football policing lead.

“Throughout the competition, our England squad has been great role models, conducting themselves with professionalism and humility.

“I’m outraged that there are people out there who believe it’s acceptable to target them, or anybody else, with such heinous cruelty.

“The UKFPU investigation is well underway, and efforts to find individuals guilty are continuing.

“We work closely with social media platforms, which provide us with the data we need to move inquiries forward.”

The government announced measures to extend banning orders for internet racism on Wednesday.

Boris Johnson said during Prime Minister’s Questions that social media platforms must do more to eliminate and prevent racial hatred online.

If social media companies do not act quickly enough to remove abuse from their sites, the Prime Minister said they could face fines of up to 10%.

Mr Johnson also met with representatives from social media networks, issuing a warning about the Online Harms Bill’s provisions.

“Last night, I met representatives of Facebook, Twitter, TikTok, Snapchat, and Instagram, and I made it perfectly obvious to them that we,” he told MPs.

Share.

Leave A Reply