Police cordoned off the Vauxhall Bridge after a report of an explosive device.


Police cordoned off the Vauxhall Bridge after a report of an explosive device.

Following allegations of an explosive device, police roped off London’s Vauxhall Bridge earlier today.

Police and other emergency personnel were on the scene, and the road was closed in both directions.

Vauxhall Bridge has been reopened after one arrest.

“Police were called to an address on Vauxhall Bridge Road at 17.51hrs on Thursday, 15 July to reports of suspicious items,” the Metropolitan Police said in a statement. Officers were present.

“While the things are investigated, a cordon has been erected as a precaution.

“A man has been detained, and investigations are ongoing.”

Earlier, Londoners expressed their amazement and alarm on social media.

“Major incident #vauxhall bridge road avoid,” a cab driver posted.

“We have been advised by police not to let anyone walk in or leave (we are on Vauxhall Bridge Road),” casting director Sarah Playfair wrote on Facebook.

“It’s roped off just outside where I live,” one local remarked. There are cops and ambulances…”

“I believe the problem is closer to Vauxhall, and I presume they’ve sealed off any area that might be affected if something goes wrong,” she continued.

“Thank goodness I’m on the opposite side of the cordon.

“Hopefully, it’s just the cops being too cautious. “Fingers crossed.”

“A202 Vauxhall Bridge Road (SW1P) (Both Directions) between Wilton Road and Drummond Gate – Road closed due to an emergency services incident,” according to Jambuster, a Twitter feed that offers travel alerts for London.

“Take a different route. #LondonTraffic.”

After ticketless fans stormed into the Euro 2020 final at Wembley, the Metropolitan Police has been defending its record this week.

Hundreds of fans forced their way in by smashing doors and brawling with stewards and other fans.

The operation was described by Jane Connors, the Met’s deputy assistant commissioner, as “one of the most significant and thorough policing preparations the Met has ever committed to a football match of this kind.”

“Police commanders recognized this may result in ticketless supporters attempting to enter the stadium; they informed Wembley security officers of this risk,” she continued.

“I refuse to believe that the policing operation was a failure, and I stand by the difficult decisions made by police officers and the Metropolitan Police Service’s public order commanders,” she said.

“Without their prompt action, this game may have been abandoned.”

England went on to lose 3-2 on penalties in the final against Italy on Sunday.

It was England’s first big event final since the 1990s. “Brinkwire News in Condensed Form.”


Leave A Reply