Nick Kyrgios has admitted to having a mystery new girlfriend ‘who makes him very happy’ after being quizzed on the relationship on live TV by Karl Stefanovic.
The tennis bad boy appeared on the Today show on Thursday to chat about when he would next be able compete on the court during the coronavirus pandemic.
But Stefanvoic sneakily shifted his focus to the 25-year-old’s personal life, claiming Kyrgios looks ‘incredibly happy’ thanks to a new love interest.
‘Seems like someone else is making you happy. How are things – can I ask how are things with Anna? Is it all cool?’ Stefanvoic asked, referring to the star’s ex-girlfriend.
Kyrgios responded: ‘Oh, jeeze! No, I’ve actually got a new girlfriend, mate.’
Kyrgios continued through his laughter: ‘You’ve just thrown me under the bus on live television.
‘You absolute potato.’
Today co-host Allison Langdon interjected and explained the right pictures had been aired but Stefanovic had used the wrong name.
Kyrgios was previously linked to Russian tennis star Anna Kalinskaya but has recently found love with new girlfriend Chiara Passari.
The 25-year-old has shared numerous happy snaps of the couple to his Instagram, referring to Ms Passari as his ‘queen’ and ‘best friend’.
Kyrgios told Stefanovic: ‘Her name is Chiara. You’d love her, mate. Don’t get too jealous. Incredibly happy obviously this time.
‘It’s all going on track and obviously lucky enough to have met her and she makes me incredibly happy. Moving forward, I’m happy with her.’
Kyrgios, who spoke to Today from Canberra, also stood by his decision to pull out of the US Open due to the ongoing coronavirus threat.
‘It was an easy decision for me to pull out of the US Open, obviously with everything going on over in the States at the moment,’ he said.
Kyrgios, who continues to train throughout the health crisis, said there was a ‘slim’ chance he would play in Europe.
‘I think I’m going to use this time to stay home,’ he said.
‘I’m going to respect everyone that’s really tried to do no wrong during this time, tried to isolate themselves, trying to make sure no one else gets sick during this time.
‘I’m going to use this to say home, train, be with my family, be with my friends and I’m going to act responsibly and wait until I think there’s better circumstances to play.’
Kyrgios announced his withdrawal from the US Open earlier this week, citing health and safety concerns.
Kyrgios, ranked No. 40 in the world, has never advanced past the third round of a US Open.
‘I will not be playing this year at the US Open. It hurts me at my core not to be out there competing in one of the sport’s greatest arenas, Arthur Ashe Stadium,’ he said in a video announcing his withdrawal.
‘But I’m sitting out for the people, for my Aussies, for the hundreds and thousands of Americans that have lost their lives, for all of you. It’s my decision.’
He joins Australian world number one Ash Barty in opting out of the Flushing Meadows major.