Press "Enter" to skip to content

Murdered woman was beaten with a cricket bat and stabbed by a complete stranger, police allege

A young woman was brutally beaten with a cricket bat and stabbed to death by a complete stranger, police allege.  

Aysha Baty, 31, was found at about 1.30am on Saturday near a bridge in Nambour, on the Sunshine Coast, 100km north of Brisbane, with horrific injuries to her head and chest. 

Dylan Alexander Wilson, a 34-year-old man from Burnside, was arrested by police at the Nambour Hospital a short time later and charged with Ms Baty’s murder. 

Detective Senior Sergeant Daren Edwards said officers will allege Ms Baty was assaulted with a cricket bat before being stabbed multiple times. 

Wilson’s lawyer appeared before the Maroochydore Magistrates Court on Monday but his client wasn’t eligible for bail because of the serious nature of the charge. 

Sunshine Coast District Detective Inspector Dave Drinnen described the crime as ‘abhorrent’.

‘First responders engaged in CPR but her injuries were horrific,’ Detective Inspector Drinnen said.

‘It’s really abhorrent violence towards women, well anyone.’ 

Police believe the pair were not known to each other and are working to try and understand how their path’s crossed.   

‘We don’t know how the interaction came to occur which resulted in this terrible incident,’ Sen. Sgt. Edwards said.

Officers are appealing for anybody who has been in contact with Ms Baty or may know about her movements for the past seven days to come forward. 

‘Detectives are also keen to speak with anyone who has background information regarding Aysha’s relationship with friends and associates,’ a police statement said. 

Police are also urging anyone who may have witnessed anything from the nearby Nambour RSL to contact police immediately. 

Sen. Sgt. Edwards revealed Ms Baty had been living rough in the days before her violent death. 

‘Ms Baty had been living on the streets and sleeping under a bridge in the days leading up to the attack,’ he told reporters.

‘The deceased lady had chosen to be on the streets for a couple of days since Wednesday.’

An autopsy is expected to establish the cause of Ms Baty’s death. 

Wilson is due to appear before the Maroochydore court again in October. 

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *