Mum, 24, left PARALYSED after laughing gas binges destroyed her SPINE

A MUM has been left paralysed from the chest down due to her weekend laughing gas balloon habit.

Olivia Golding has been left with no feeling from her chest down after inhaling nitrous oxide.

The young mum, from Bristol, would guzzle up to 15 balloons a weekend while her three-year-old son Parker visited his dad.

She was left horrified when she woke up and couldn’t move – and had to ask Parker to call for help.

Olivia now needs to learn to walk and use her hands again after the laughing gas caused Lichtheim’s disease.

It caused her spinal cord to degenerate due to a lack of vitamin B12.

“I can’t feel my legs, my whole body is twitching”

Olivia Golding

“About a month before I was doing a balloon and I got pins and needles in my neck and back,” she told Mail Online.

“I started feeling numb in my body.

“I never dreamt it was the balloons so I just carried on doing them.

“One day I was walking in the park with my son and taking him swimming, the next day I couldn’t move.”

Olivia was rushed to hospital where doctors reveal her spinal cord was damaged due to the laughing gas.

Lichtheim’s disease is believed to start when nitrous oxide starves the body of vitamin B12.

It damages the part of the human body that protects nerves in the spinal cord that control movement.

The mum is now reaching B12 injections – and has managed to take 12 steps with the help of her physic.

She said: “I cannot even put Parker’s shoes on for him and it’s the things like that [which] break my heart.

“My son wants me to play with him and I can’t do that. I can’t feel my legs, my whole body is twitching.

“I cannot take myself to the toilet, feed myself or have a drink.”

Laughing gas is illegal to sell or import for human consumption – but it can still be used in aerosol cans.

Doctors quizzed her on her use of NOS canisters, with Olivia admitting she had done “a lot of them”. 

She is hoped to recover from her paralysis within the next few weeks.

If you do not receive B12 injections, the condition can leave you with irreparable damage to your nervous system.

Hippy crack can be fatal – with student Aaron Dunford dying in Brighton after inhaling more than 200 canisters. 

loading...

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *