Press "Enter" to skip to content

Mother of gunned down ISIS relative makes tearful appeal as detectives release new CCTV

The mother of a teen who was brutally killed in southwest Sydney has called on witnesses to come forward. 

Omar Elomar, 18, was the younger cousin of a slain Islamic State fighter, and was gunned down next to his p-plated Lexus on Cabramatta Avenue, Miller, on February 15.

Although another 18-year-old man has already been charged with the alleged murder, investigators suspect more individuals are involved.

Strike force detectives from NSW Police have released CCTV footage of two vehicles seen in the area at the time of the shooting and they are now calling for witnesses to come forward.

The vision shows a silver sedan and a red hatchback which the Homicide Squad say is ‘crucial’ to cracking the case.

‘While investigators have previously made one arrest, we believe there were more people present at the time Omar was shot – and others that have knowledge of those involved,’ Superintendent Danny Doherty said.

‘It is our belief that the occupants of the vehicles depicted in the CCTV would have seen something that might assist our investigation.’

Det Supt Doherty said police have received information suggesting a group of four to five males of Pacific Islander or Maori appearance, were seen in the area and acting suspiciously.

‘Anyone who has knowledge of this group or who can help detectives identify the vehicles – and the occupants – is urged to contact police,’ he said.

The teenage victim was the younger cousin of the notorious ISIS terrorist Mohamed Elomar who was infamously pictured holding a severed head in Syria.

He travelled from Sydney to Syria in 2013 and quickly became a high-ranking member of the Islamic Caliphate before being killed in a drone strike by coalition forces in 2015.

 Omar’s family say the teen should not be linked to his notorious older cousin.

‘Omar was beautiful, loving, caring and the type of person who would put others needs before himself sacrificing his social time, his weekends to care for his brother with special needs,’ Omar’s mother Souad Elomar said.

‘He was ambitious, he had started a new job and was two weeks into his TAFE studies, ready to take on the world.

‘Our family have never-ending days of grief knowing that he will never come home, so if you know anything do the right thing, come forward and help us find some peace.’

Police initially described the shooting as a ‘targeted attack’ and said Omar and others arranged to meet with another group on the evening he was killed.

Be First to Comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *